Hit a rough patch, just need to vent.

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about rebuilding Ford A4LD transmissions? I was taking my son to school this morning, and the transmission on my truck starts trying to go out. No movement in any of the gears. I get it stopped, call my wife, and while I'm talking to her I decide to try reverse, since I'm just around the corner from my house. I hadn't gotten very far. Clunk, it drops into reverse. I hang up, and check drive. Clunk. It drops into drive. I get it back home, then use my wife's car to take my son to school. Get back, and check the truck. I'd had a fluid leak last summer, and it had the same symptoms then, so I was hoping that's all it was. Negative. There's plenty of fluid. Which tells me my poor truck's transmission is finally starting to give. Figures. Not bad for a 25 year old truck, really. It just couldn't have waited for a better time. You know, like when I had a job and money to fix it. Somebody find Murphy and kick his *** for me.

Okay, vent over. I gotta try to figure something out. Y'all have a great day!

Ello guvner ......you sound like you have a sticking governor.....happens more when it's cold and causes a delayed shift and usually a clunk into gear.

Is this a solenoid controlled unit or the older hydraulic type??

good news is if it's 25 years old, then good 2nd hand tranny's should be pretty cheap. And, it shouldn't be to bad to swap yourself.

Ello guvner ......you sound like you have a sticking governor.....happens more when it's cold and causes a delayed shift and usually a clunk into gear.

Is this a solenoid controlled unit or the older hydraulic type??

Is it bad that I have absolutely no idea, and really don't know what to look for to find out? To me, transmissions are scary, almost mythical creatures that will melt my brains with laser-beam-wielding sharks should I dare to get too close to them!

good news is if it's 25 years old, then good 2nd hand tranny's should be pretty cheap. And, it shouldn't be to bad to swap yourself.

The operative term there is "pretty cheap", and it's all relative. If I were working, they would be pretty cheap. As I am not, they might as well be brand new.

Anyway, I went to a local transmission shop just up the road. I know the owner (my wife's former brother-in-law), and he took me for a spin in my truck. First time in a LONG time I was in the passenger's seat! He put the truck through her paces, and said she shifted fine, right where she was supposed to. Pulled back up to the shop, and checked the fluid. That's when he told me I had committed a Cardinal sin while checking the fluid myself. I forgot that the truck needed to be running. I checked it with the truck off, so the results were skewed. While she was running, it showed that I was about a quart low. Added fluid, and he said I should be okay. Granted, there's a leak somewhere, but it's only leaking about a quart every 8 months or so. As long as I keep an eye on it, I should be okay to use my truck as normal. I still need a filter/fluid service. The last time I had that done was WAAAAY too long ago! Fingers crossed that things stay okay!

Rani, to clarify my response to you. I've just never done anything with transmissions other than check/fill fluid as needed. It's not that I'm afraid to get into one (though I am, deeply), I've just never had the need. If I have no other recourse, I'm usually willing to try most anything. If my truck's transmission issue had been more than just fluid-related, it's not like I could have made it worse by trying to fix it myself. (Famous last words. Murphy, you didn't hear ANYTHING!)

If you've never been into a trans before this isn't the time.

Typical Ford trans, once you rip it apart everything but the case needs to be replaced. You'd be better off finding good used or an overhauled one from a reputable trans shop.

You've done services, you say? You do realize this trans has a single external band adjustment, right?

Is it bad that I have absolutely no idea, and really don't know what to look for to find out? To me, transmissions are scary, almost mythical creatures that will melt my brains with laser-beam-wielding sharks should I dare to get too close to them!

The operative term there is "pretty cheap", and it's all relative. If I were working, they would be pretty cheap. As I am not, they might as well be brand new.

Anyway, I went to a local transmission shop just up the road. I know the owner (my wife's former brother-in-law), and he took me for a spin in my truck. First time in a LONG time I was in the passenger's seat! He put the truck through her paces, and said she shifted fine, right where she was supposed to. Pulled back up to the shop, and checked the fluid. That's when he told me I had committed a Cardinal sin while checking the fluid myself. I forgot that the truck needed to be running. I checked it with the truck off, so the results were skewed. While she was running, it showed that I was about a quart low. Added fluid, and he said I should be okay. Granted, there's a leak somewhere, but it's only leaking about a quart every 8 months or so. As long as I keep an eye on it, I should be okay to use my truck as normal. I still need a filter/fluid service. The last time I had that done was WAAAAY too long ago! Fingers crossed that things stay okay!
Keep us updated, I am having a similar issue with my MIL's Ferd Ranger. They took it in for a trans flush and it started having problems a few months after.

When I checked the fluid level it was several courts overfilled. Once I sucked the extra fluid out it runs better but still some issues.

If you've never been into a trans before this isn't the time.

Typical Ford trans, once you rip it apart everything but the case needs to be replaced. You'd be better off finding good used or an overhauled one from a reputable trans shop.

You've done services, you say? You do realize this trans has a single external band adjustment, right?
I've HAD services done. Just simple fluid/filter services. The shop I took it to today said that when they do a service, they adjust the bands as well. My thought when he told me this was "Uhh... Okay?" I'm afraid I'm a mark they can see coming from a mile away when it comes to transmissions.

I've HAD services done. Just simple fluid/filter services. The shop I took it to today said that when they do a service, they adjust the bands as well. My thought when he told me this was "Uhh... Okay?" I'm afraid I'm a mark they can see coming from a mile away when it comes to transmissions.

A lot of general repair shops don't realize there are band adjustments and the service is hooking it to a flush machine. I know of some that don't even replace the filter as the machine is supposed to reverse flush the filter.

One of the reasons to find a reputable repair shop and ask the right questions, rather it be a general repair shop or an exclusive trans shop.

Good luck. Trans buddy in AZ has done LOTS of A4LD stuff.....based upon my experience with the Aluminum 4 speed Light Duty trans....and the symptoms you described, doubt very seriously it is a simple adjustment or a governor. Depending on what year the trans is determines what planets it has...early ones are very susceptible to failure. You drop the pan yet? Wouldn't be surprised if it is full of junk...

I hate those damn transmissions, but in reality they are really not any worse than much else of that era.
A lot of the internals are stamped steel instead of cast or machined, and they are pretty simple as OD's go.
On the upside they came in everything from Aerostar vans to pickups, so they are pretty common.

I'll spare you the ribbing about checking the fluid while running.:D

Good luck. Trans buddy in AZ has done LOTS of A4LD stuff.....based upon my experience with the Aluminum 4 speed Light Duty trans....and the symptoms you described, doubt very seriously it is a simple adjustment or a governor. Depending on what year the trans is determines what planets it has...early ones are very susceptible to failure. You drop the pan yet? Wouldn't be surprised if it is full of junk...

I agree. Not a governor and not a band. Low fluid, even a quart low, can spell death of these POS's.

I've dipped into a few them and usually cringed when I'd have a customer call with one. Usually cheaper to buy a used one and run it to death.

Like you I have a buddy who used to do a lot of them (you know him on the Facebook Gearheads Car Club group, Doug, he's the admin). They aren't for the feint of heart.

There was a period of time when Ford put a plastic bushing in the throttle bell crank where the trans linkage attached. I forget the exact years. When that piece of plastic broke and fell out, the tiny bit of lost motion would effect operation and could take out a worn trans in a short drive.
Although Ford did go back to the bronze bushing, the HELP line at the part store can hook you up with another plastic bushing. Good luck with it

-
Back