Hit a snag with my Prop valve/line

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Alright things were going good. Till I got the the MC lines. Seems this prop valve is popped up not like the original one that was recessed. I saved the lines but the one isnt right. Both ends of the line are like the photo and a pic of the prop valve. Am I missing something here? Do I need a different line or is the prop valve faulty?

Attachments

• brake line.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 206
  • brake line2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 181
No that is a proprietary piece, part of the valve, and never available separately. You will have to find another valve, junk or otherwise.

I BELIEVE you will find that the flare nut you hold (on the line) in the photo is the wrong size nut. That is NOT a "standard" size nut for that size line. All manufacturers used "non standard" flare nuts on brake lines (especially master cylinders) to make sure the lines got installed in the correct places, IE impossible to switch the front // rear master lines

GOOD hose/ fittings/ parts suppliers do have adapters up/ down in size if needed. This used to be common when installing hydraulic trailer controllers

I had wondered that myself. But since I dont know how long or how deep the threaded part needs to be im kind of SOL. only way to find is to have one to compare

I can see what ever is in the top is spring loaded. Not sure if pressure is what makes it work im assuming so. But does the line fit down right on top of that? Reason I question the length is how long does it need to be to work?

That device has two purposes.

1 The proportioning valve is the lower right section

2 The section at top left and what is affected by your broken piece is not a valve, but the brake warning switch

Normally, the piston is centered, and the switch on the left side is OFF. If pressure drops on EITHER the front or rear section of the system, the piston shuttles one way or the other due to this pressure difference. As you can see, there is a recess in the center of the piston, and when it moves either up or down, it actuates that switch.

There actually used to be a tool -----when bleeding the brakes, you could remove the switch, and screw the tool in to the device in place of the switch.

Then, when you bled the brakes, you didn't have to worry about jamming the piston to one end or the other. Sometimes, they could be difficult to reset.

So if you were to 'find' some generic fitting that screwed into the body, you might face a couple different problems-----------

you might have leakage problems, or whatever machine work is on the bottom of the "new" piece may not properly tension the brake warning switch piston, and you'd have trouble there with nuisance lamps warnings. Not sure, but I believe this would also block one end or other of the system not good

THIS STUFF is not something to play with!!!!

That device has two purposes.

1 The proportioning valve is the lower right section

2 The section at top left and what is affected by your broken piece is not a valve, but the brake warning switch

Normally, the piston is centered, and the switch on the left side is OFF. If pressure drops on EITHER the front or rear section of the system, the piston shuttles one way or the other due to this pressure difference. As you can see, there is a recess in the center of the piston, and when it moves either up or down, it actuates that switch.

There actually used to be a tool -----when bleeding the brakes, you could remove the switch, and screw the tool in to the device in place of the switch.

Then, when you bled the brakes, you didn't have to worry about jamming the piston to one end or the other. Sometimes, they could be difficult to reset.

So if you were to 'find' some generic fitting that screwed into the body, you might face a couple different problems-----------

you might have leakage problems, or whatever machine work is on the bottom of the "new" piece may not properly tension the brake warning switch piston, and you'd have trouble there with nuisance lamps warnings. Not sure, but I believe this would also block one end or other of the system not good

THIS STUFF is not something to play with!!!!

That was kind of my feeling is what does that fitting do! And putting a generic fitting would it create trouble for me.

-
Back