Hmm...will it last?

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I have heard some good experiences (real life stories) and bad rumors (no real stories) about 8.25 rears. So, I decided to see if mine will last.

I have a 73' Dart Sport 340. It has a 3.21 geared open 8.25 rear in it, I don't think it is the original rear but it is an a-body rear. The reason I don't think it is original is the underbody of the car is super-clean, but the springs/rear/etc has alot of surface rust. I bought the car as a basket case.

I am running out of money, and I'd just like to drive the darn thing. So, I decided to try and make the rear last at least a summer or two. I'm going to replace all the bearings, and see if I can weld the tubes to the housing. I just came across a new Richmond/Powertrax Lock-Right locker in my never ending trading, and I'm going to see if those mods alone will make it last behind my engine. I know that the Lock-Right is supposed to "ratchet" and "click" in normal street driving, but its all I have at the moment. I don't plan on running sticky tires...yet, and they will probably be 275/40-17 street tires.

The engine is an 11.5:1 422 with ported Edelbrocks, Victor 340 intake, comp solid 250/254 .547/.533 cam, tti step headers, 904 trans with 3400 stall and man vb. All steel, full interior (buckets/console and fold down rear seat). Not sure how much HP/torque, but I'm sure it will be enough to put a grin on my face.

Any good/bad thoughts? Unless I come across another deal or something, this is what I'll be running. Just kind of want some input if it is going to be a time bomb, or if it will last as long as I don't put on sticky meats.

Yeesh... it'll work for a while. I don't know if putting money into it is worth it though.

If your using it for street use it will be fine. Where I would start to worry is if you bolt slicks on and head to the track.

The 8.25 is good , it's the use that kills any diff, or unless they are being used well beyond there power ability.

I have a D-35 which is pretty close to a 8.25 in many ways and i haven't broke it with well over 500hp, road and drag in a 4000lb vehicle...

But im not having wheel hop or any other issues that kill any diff

I figured if I could get away with very little cash outlay and have the rearend last, then that would be perfect. I doubt that anytime soon I'll have the money for sticky tires, so I'll be good in that respect. Alot of people have also said they think the axles would be the first thing to get damaged after the stock carrier was upgraded. If the rear lasts a while and I don't see any problems, I may keep it in there. Rear discs would be cake to add, and thats another reason I'd consider keeping it. Thanks for the input so far!! Makes me feel a little more confident, rather than just hopeful lol.

-
Back