hmmm. what would be better?

-

CharlieRotten

Green Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 273 Hipo that runs and is in good shape for $100

I would like to have a good amount of power so I cant decide if I should just re-sell the 273 and buy a 340 or 360 or if it would be cheeper to keep the 273 and build off of that.

What do you think?

If it was me,grab the rocker gear,pawn the rest.273 are hard to find.Do a 360.

If this is a true Commando engine, it should be worth something for a restorer. I would not tear it up

Do the 360. I made the mistake of trying to make power with a 273. It can be done much easier and more street friendly with a 360.

:finga:

What are the 273 casting numbers on the heads, intake, manifolds, etc

Somebody might pay $ if it was the HP 273 but yeah build a 360-- sell the 273 and take the money and run, lol. Larger pistons and a little more stroke and parts are cheaper ! New 360 pistons are cheaper then 273's and you get more compression choices with the 360 pistons.

I'm doing a HP 273 but only because the car is all original. If your going to do a rebuild better start with more cubic inch and a stroker crank.

Can't hardly give a 273 away but the dual point distributor, 4 barrel intake, finned valve covers, chrome air cleaner, and carb will pull a little bit of money if those items are still on the motor.

Actually if all there might be worth more complete.

Attachments

• Formula S 66 Barracuda 059.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 163
What car it going into ? prob better off selling 273 for $$$ to someone restoring an older A body and wants original . Build a 360

Ah I see. Well everyone has a vision of how to do things and thats what makes hot rodding so fun, diversity. I actually got my 273 to run 100mph in the quarter which was a tough one. I would like to revisit the 273 and try it in my Swinger with what I have learned over the years. I always felt that I left a lot of tricks on the table and I think I could make a 12 second 110mph combo out of a stock A body but it would be barely street driveable.

-
Back