Hobart 135 - Good deal?

-

Fuzzy Dice

Reaction score
I've been poking around for used welders to give my dad for father's day/birthday and came across a Hobart Handler 135 (the 140 predecessor). He already has a stick welder for structural/thicker material but he wants a 110v MIG for sheet metal, exhaust, and some of the hobby stuff he'd like to start doing.

I found one semi-local for 475, is that a good deal? I was hoping to get something cheaper but it looks like by the time you get everything set up to use gas the price goes up quite a bit.

Here's the ad:

Welder, Cart, Gage & Hose, Full Bottle of 75/25.Argon/C02. Welding Helmet,Spool/.030/.023 Hard wire Welding cart is new,also Pressure gauge. Everything else look's like NEW.

00T0T_kGx07UveDMG_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_2Q0DhbZlm2t_600x450.jpg

00C0C_aZPjJuT9ttU_600x450.jpg

00t0t_5G6abLgdGhR_600x450.jpg

00o0o_fWUJZN1m0QZ_600x450c.jpg

00202_4PD5IIlFXKJ_600x450.jpg

For everything that is included it is a decent deal. Make sure you weld with it a bit to insure it works correctly.

Not a bad deal. I just bought an Eastwood 135 and had about 500 into everything once I bought my helmet, tank, and such.

How much is a 140 new?

This says $479 on sale.

Comes with regulator.

Small cyl of gas is about $40 (maybe a bit more the first time)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/hobart-handlerreg;-140-mig-welder?cm_vc=-10005

That's where I got my 140 about a year ago. Works great.
As far as the used 135 unit coming with an argon tank... Those tanks need to be inspected every so often and if it is expired, they will charge you extra for an inspection or you may have to but/lease a new tank. Just some food for thought on the decision making.

Good deal and the Hobart's are good welders. tmm

Mediocre deal at best for a model that's been replaced (several years ago).

Comes with old school (non-auto) helmet and a spool of wire ($30), plus a questionable tank of gas.

For the extra $100-$150 for the accesories, I'd buy the new one.

If it was $250, it might be a more compelling argument.

As said, the welder price is clos to a new one. So the bottle is what makes it a deal ( or not). Might want to check with your local gas supplier to be sure they will fill it. I bought my cyl (size Q, 80 cu ft) from GTS Welco in 2008 for $150 full of C25. I just take it in and exchange it, pay only for the fill. Plus I am in and out, you may wait a while at some places to get your own bottle filled. They did tell me to hold onto my receipt in case ownership is ever questioned.

Just food for thought, but I have the big *** bottle with steel braided line so I can fill the little bottle that I own from the big one that I don't.
No inspections this way, and I can fill the small bottle on the welder cart about 20-25 times.

Go see what your local welding supply house has. You might be able to get a newer or more powerful machine for the same money. Units that were traded out for warranty work are sold as "reconditioned" for a good discount.

That's where I got my 140 about a year ago. Works great.
As far as the used 135 unit coming with an argon tank... Those tanks need to be inspected every so often and if it is expired, they will charge you extra for an inspection or you may have to but/lease a new tank. Just some food for thought on the decision making.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know about the inspection. I'll call our local welding supply and get the skinny on that.

Mediocre deal at best for a model that's been replaced (several years ago).

Comes with old school (non-auto) helmet and a spool of wire ($30), plus a questionable tank of gas.

For the extra $100-$150 for the accesories, I'd buy the new one.

If it was $250, it might be a more compelling argument.

I can always offer them $250. I guess I didn't notice it was a non-auto helmet until you said something, thanks for that. That was one of the big plusses for me since a decent auto helmet is $80+

You guys have me worried on the tank of gas now!

As said, the welder price is clos to a new one. So the bottle is what makes it a deal ( or not). Might want to check with your local gas supplier to be sure they will fill it. I bought my cyl (size Q, 80 cu ft) from GTS Welco in 2008 for $150 full of C25. I just take it in and exchange it, pay only for the fill. Plus I am in and out, you may wait a while at some places to get your own bottle filled. They did tell me to hold onto my receipt in case ownership is ever questioned.

That was another kicker for me, but like I said you guys sniffed out the issues with the tank/inspection right away. Thanks for the input.

Go see what your local welding supply house has. You might be able to get a newer or more powerful machine for the same money. Units that were traded out for warranty work are sold as "reconditioned" for a good discount.

Hoping when I call about the tank and inspection I can ask if they have any refurb models available. They only sell Miller, so if I can get a deal through them I'd be a happy man

Having a tank retested is no big deal. There is a DOT number which if you can decode will tell you the life span of the tank then there is a hydrostat test date (which is the one your worried about). Depending on what type of tank you have it might have to be tested every 5-10 years. I don’t know the cost of having a welding tank tested, the fiber wrapped paintball tanks I think are every 7 years and around $30 to test. I bought an aluminum 80 in 2011 from a place that tests them and just had it filled... usually they will tell you if your getting close to the date. These things hold like what 3000psi. and have been known to go through concrete walls if they tip over and break off the valve. Do you really want to fill a small one if it hasn’t been tested?

Yea i bought the 175 several yrs ago and its very reliable/tough machine but would have been better off with the 110 V 135/140 handler as there many 110 recepticals around my place..:eek:ops:

Yeah, just get the 140 new if you're going to pay that much for a used older model. I have the Handler 140, it's a nice machine.

Hobart now owned by miller.go to cyberweld.com you cannot buy a Hobart or miller of any model,anywhere cheaper and free freight,rebates up front with discount pricing direct from miller.this websight is operated by miller USA.cutout the middleman

Hobart now owned by miller.go to cyberweld.com you cannot buy a Hobart or miller of any model,anywhere cheaper and free freight,rebates up front with discount pricing direct from miller.this websight is operated by miller USA.cutout the middleman

I bought my Hobart 210 dual voltage from cyderweld. Excellent price & free shipping. Plus I can use it for average stuff on 110v or heavier stuff on 220v.

Yeah, my bro in law just sold me his Hobart 140 for $300
used once to put up his wrought iron fence around his acre property
wasn't strong enough for him so he bout a Tig
he gave me the hobart, two new spools of wire (the size where i dont need gas), gloves, autodimming lid, and some other stuff
i agreed to buy it 4th of July while were doing some briskets
sent a check via my wife (our wives are sisters) at the end of july
i still need to go grab it from his house but he's going to teach me how to use it by fabbing up some straps for my ramcharger tank swap

cool stuff to know it's a tough lil welder

-
Back