Hole in #1 cylinder wall near bottom

-

kenelder

70 340 4spd 6 pack
Reaction score
I thought everyone might like to see what happens when a timing cover bolt brakes through the cylinder wall. Here’s some pics.

What happened? Installing new power steering bracket and felt the bottom bolt get right before it was seated on the bracket. Didn’t torque it, so backed out and used washers to space it. Really strange since it was same bolt that came out of that hole. Putting antifreeze in after the bracket was done and could hear water going into the pan. Grrrr.

Pulled engine, installed different 340, checked bolt length and it was correct. New engine fine with that bolt???

Tear down on old engine shows the hole. All I can figure is there must have been something in the water jacket that got between the bolt and the cylinder wall.

Pondering sleeving old block and rebuilding it. I haven’t checked bore yet but pistons don’t have markings for overbite. In any case I’m not sure this block isn’t too thin after looking at the pics. One pic shows the piece that broke out- cyl wall looks really thin.

Thoughts?

86F22305-7F02-4384-8770-D0B8492387ED.jpeg

D3A41AE0-B417-4648-B62C-2F060D851691.jpeg

B50CD805-821A-48D9-BCF1-93FAE3811E0B.jpeg

What happened? Installing new power steering bracket and felt the bottom bolt get right before it was seated on the bracket. Didn’t torque it, so backed out and used washers to space it. Really strange since it was same bolt that came out of that hole. Putting antifreeze in after the bracket was done and could hear water going into the pan. Grrrr.
Maybe the bolt was sealing the hole originally?

My rule is to insert a chop stick screwdriver etc into the hole in question to determine the Longest bolt that can go in the hole. then with a piece of wire with a small L on the end insert it into the hole and then pull it back till you feel the back of the hole that gives me the minimum length bolt length

That's an excellent plan and what I usually do. I didn't this time because it was the same bolt that came out of that hole and it was working fine before. Strange.....must have been something in the block between the bolt and wall. I was thinking about having it sonic checked first and if that's good then sleeve it. It's a '68 block from a wreck in the junkyard, no telling how much corrosion inside. It's been in my Dart since 1977 until last year.

-
Back