hole in my head

-
If the head is...? a 340/360 head and it has been shaved that far.......then you have TWO problems.
One, as mentioned, the gasket material is way to thin on the head, and WILL crack. Destroying your eng.

The 2NT problem is the intake! you will have to shave A LOT off the intake manifold just to get it on. You don't know how much was shaved off the head so you don't now how much to take off the intake surface.

There just something, that don't look right, there. IF its not a X, J, O, Exc. then well that's why it looks strange to me......

This is what's been running threw my head.

Is it possible, that if it is a 340/360 head.......that the deck has been angle milled?
This would give the closed combustion chamber appearance with out being so thin?

There just seems to be to much deck surface on the long side or, the spark plug side.

Here's a pic of my 360 head.

DSCN2036.jpg

Good call Cudafever. I found the machine receipt and the heads were "angle milled"

Here is another pic of the head. Sorry about the quality taken with a phone.

Attachments

• headache.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 147
Ok good!
So did they say how much was removed.......and if they shaved the intake surfice of the head.........or some other (matching now!) intake maniflold.

They weren't just angle milled. They were angle milled the HELL out of. LOL I've never seen open chamber heads milled to closed chamber before. Heard of it.....but lookin at it.....damn. Just damn.

Cudafever - The receipt I have is from Fox Engine Service in Jacksonville, Fl. It reads " Angle mill heads & correct bolt holes etc., 3 angle on seats; back cut valves, exhaust guides" totaled $312. I bought the motor on Ebay from a guy in Florida. He said he had cancer and needed to sell. He since passed. He seemed pretty proud of this engine put together by a guy named Jim Blackshear (NHRA Hall of Fame?) I talked to both of them and they seemed like straight shooters.

First time I got on it the engine blew a frost plug and got hot. That's why I have pictures of the mill work :)

Was I taken "Hook line and sinker"?

I really hope the intake (RPM Airgap) wasn't milled to accommodate.

I don't think you were taken at all. It was probably a damned powerful engine. I mean damn, they have heart shaped combustion chambers now. lol Milling to raise compression is old school technology. There are different ways to do it. Some say better. But if everything else is done to match up with the milling, such as correct pushrods, milled intake and the like, it's perfectly acceptable. None of us knows whether they soniced checked anything. They may have. I guess what I am trying to say is that different people do things different ways. That doesn't necessarily make one persons way wrong. I would just about promise you that intake has indeed been milled to match. Having milled the heads that much, it about have to be.

Hmmm how long did the eng run before it lost the freeze plug.

I say get a accurate depth of that small hole(I don't think is as deep as you might think)

Throw it back together and run it!!!!

If it don't work like you want, buy a new head and install the comp cam.

I agree that it's had a lot shaved/cut off the head and it would be a GOOD idea to have it sonic check for deck thickness.
Where that pit is, was there before it was angle milled, and mite hold up for sometime yet.

Call a machine shop and see how much it would cast to have the thickness checked.

Thanks Cudafever. Already ordered the new heads and will be installing the Comp Cam. I've learned more about heads this week then in my last 58 years. I'll put these J heads in the trunk for better traction (minus all the milling). :))))

One more thing. That freeze plug that fell out. It may need an over size plug!
There was some blocks that had port casting, that required a oversize freeze plug.

My 340 block was one of such blocks. Sorry, don't remember the size.
Was 15 years a go :thumblef:

Think about this, too.....it couldda been combustion pressure getting into the cooling system that blew that feeeze plug out. Just food for thought. You never know.

Strokerscamp- Thanks if the intake was milled to fit the over milled heads do you think it will be a problem with fresh heads?

yes!

They are a matched set now! will not fit any other head!

Thanks guys, I'm still concerned about the freeze plug and why it popped. I guess at this time I'm hoping it had something to do with the head. So what about if I put a tack weld on the freeze plugs to hold them in? Are they really even needed these days?

Ammm maybe..........i think i would find there right size plug for it.:book:

Like i said, mine held for 15 years, 3 head swaps and two transmissions:razz:

that frost plug that blew out...was it steel? brass? rubber? how did the engine run before that happened? which frost plug blew out? whats the condition of the other frost plugs?.....do they look like they were installed correctly?

Passenger side under number 2 plug. I think it's brass. I wouldn't know what a freeze plug in bad condition looks like :). I'm not an engine guy so I don't know about proper installation. What are you thinking?

Sorry, I didn't answer this part... The engine seemed to be running okay. My biggest mistake was not running a compression check before putting it in the car. It took me weeks to get it running half decent in the garage. The whole time I noticed white smoke at the exhaust. It was winter and very cold so I wrote it off to that. Now I'm not so sure it was due to the cold. On a warm spring day I took her out and stepped on it. That's when the freeze plug popped.

Brass freeze plugs do not bite well at the iron and they can blow out if not installed fully, or if shallow ones are used (which are the more common ones). I'd replace them all and make sure when you do the bores are clean, free of rust, silicone, oil, antifreeze, etc. I use emery cloth to clean, and do not go "in and out" with it, go "around" the bore in the direction of the drill that finished them. Then I use a very small skim coat of grey RTV, and make sure you press them in so the edge is deeper than the chamfer on the bore.

Moper - Thanks, sounds like good solid advice.

1crazyguy - I never pressure tested the heads.....no telling what was done to em.

-
Back