Hole saw hooplah

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Its amazing how well a hole saw really works when you use the correct spindle speed! I cut 6 1 3/4 holes with a decent Lenox bi-metal hole saw, 3 with a cheap drill press that only went down to 620 RPM, much faster than the 195 for mild steel, and 3 with a Dewalt cordless drill that went down to the recommended speed and had gobs of torque. The first 3 on the too fast drill press literally took 10 minutes a piece, with lots of cutting oil, smoke and hellashus noise. I never got the hole saw very hot as I knew it was sure death at this speed. The 3 with the Dewalt at close to the correct speed, took about 2 minutes a piece: very little noise or heat with plenty of cutting oil. I dont know who makes a drill press that goes down to 2 1/2" speed of 135 RPM, so I modded mine to at least get down to 200, and it worked! Black one drives the idle green one, had to go a little easy on the pressure as the belt slipped a little but hey, you do what you gotta do! I got plans for a permanent mod. A Slant Six lower pulley and an alternator pulley tack welded onto the 2 pulley stacks of the drill press to make an ultra low gear with a special belt for those large hole saws...

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 239
you could try googleing how to install a motor control drive (like a v1000) and a speed potentiometer to adjust the speed of the motor. main thing is DC motors dont like to run at slow speed for too long. your method of gearing down using two presses is creative. I think our old drill press at work lowest rpm is 72 but it is gear to gear with 8 gear selections and two speeds per with forward and reverse.

$700 bucks? Mines a little cheaper..that thing does WAY too much stuff! 8-0

lol yeah some are not cheap but for that applacation it wouldnt take much. when we upgrade at work they give us the left over outdated stuff.

yeah, for $200 you could get a 1/3 HP 12V C56 framed DC motor and a PWM electronic speed control, you could set that bad boy down to 60 RPM with full torque.

Very creative Pishta:cheers:
C

I agree, creative, and I like the slant pulley idea. You didn't tell us why you're cutting all these holes. :)

-
Back