Holley 1920 Linkage Pics

-

Glue Man

Reaction score
Guys I need some more help. I can't seem to get this linkage right after rebuilding the carb. Can anyone snap a pic of their set up and post it up?

My car is a 68 Valiant 225 if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

I have more pictures of it as it gets torn down. If you need me to post them, post up or PM me if I don't check back in. (Sometimes it gets buried...)

I have more pictures of it as it gets torn down. If you need me to post them, post up or PM me if I don't check back in. (Sometimes it gets buried...)

I should have been more specific. I meant after its bolted on to the intake. Basically, what does everything look like right before you want to start it. The whole throttle cable mechanism, the choke, etc.

Thanks again.

I should have been more specific. I meant after its bolted on to the intake. Basically, what does everything look like right before you want to start it. The whole throttle cable mechanism, the choke, etc.

Thanks again.

Ours has a carter, but here are a few. I think the basic throttle and linkage attachments are similar. This is also a 68 Valiant with a 225 (but not original engine but is a late 60's vintage):

View attachment DSC01479 B.jpg

View attachment DSC01480 B.jpg

View attachment DSC01481 B.jpg

View attachment DSC01482 B.jpg

View attachment DSC01483 B.jpg

View attachment DSC01484 B.jpg

View attachment DSC01485 B.jpg

View attachment DSC01486 B.jpg

View attachment DSC01487 B.jpg

I can get some more closer up if you need them. The kickdown linkage is kinda hidden..

I can get some more closer up if you need them. The kickdown linkage is kinda hidden..

The kickdown linkage I think is one of my problems. I cant seem to remember how that connected to the bracket that holds the throttle cable. The rest of it I had right.

My issue now is that I dont see any gas squirting out of the inside of the carb when I hit the throttle. I had rebuilt the carb, put it on the car, it was squirting gas prior to startup when I hit the throttle, had to remove the carb roughly a week ago, reinstalled it last night and now it wont squirt gas before startup. Once its running with starting fluid she idles ok, but now nothing. I cant figure it out. Any ideas?

This car sat for 20 years prior to me buying it a few weeks back so I had to have the head gone through due to stuck valves. I've completely replaced the fuel system, ignition system, and rebuilt the carb.

The kickdown linkage I think is one of my problems. I cant seem to remember how that connected to the bracket that holds the throttle cable. The rest of it I had right.

My issue now is that I dont see any gas squirting out of the inside of the carb when I hit the throttle. I had rebuilt the carb, put it on the car, it was squirting gas prior to startup when I hit the throttle, had to remove the carb roughly a week ago, reinstalled it last night and now it wont squirt gas before startup. Once its running with starting fluid she idles ok, but now nothing. I cant figure it out. Any ideas?

This car sat for 20 years prior to me buying it a few weeks back so I had to have the head gone through due to stuck valves. I've completely replaced the fuel system, ignition system, and rebuilt the carb.

That should be in the accelerator pump shot. did you get it installed properly? some carbs have a check ball for the accelerator pump system, could you have left it out?

I can get some better close up pictures of the kickdown linkages for you tomorrow when/if the sun comes out...

I've completely replaced the fuel system, ignition system, and rebuilt the carb.
As KK says, the accel pump has a check ball that has to be free and seating right. If you go to Mike's Carburetors website, and find their videos on the 1920, it goes through the process of checking that check ball out. Was there a new accel pump diaphragm with your kit?

That should be in the accelerator pump shot. did you get it installed properly? some carbs have a check ball for the accelerator pump system, could you have left it out?

I can get some better close up pictures of the kickdown linkages for you tomorrow when/if the sun comes out...

Ill take some pictures tonight of what I am having trouble figuring out.

As KK says, the accel pump has a check ball that has to be free and seating right. If you go to Mike's Carburetors website, and find their videos on the 1920, it goes through the process of checking that check ball out. Was there a new accel pump diaphragm with your kit?

There was, and I pulled the cover off of the bowl yesterday to inspect it. It seems to be in good working order. Crazy thing is it worked when I pulled the carb off a week ago, and now it doesn't work. All I did was set the complete carb on the counter in the garage while I was doing the other work.

Ill have to pull the float back out tonight and look at it a little harder. Maybe there is a tear in it? The check ball- is that on the end of that small tube with a spring behind it? There is a small plastic lever that pushes that check ball into that tube? If this is the check ball you are referring to, it moves freely.

There was, and I pulled the cover off of the bowl yesterday to inspect it. It seems to be in good working order. Crazy thing is it worked when I pulled the carb off a week ago, and now it doesn't work. All I did was set the complete carb on the counter in the garage while I was doing the other work.

Ill have to pull the float back out tonight and look at it a little harder. Maybe there is a tear in it? The check ball- is that on the end of that small tube with a spring behind it? There is a small plastic lever that pushes that check ball into that tube? If this is the check ball you are referring to, it moves freely.

There may not be a check ball on all of the Holleys, but it's a possibility. The one that the kid and I tore down a few weeks ago had a weird rubber diaphram that I've not seen before...

I have pictures of it as we tore it down...

I got some better pictures of the linkages for you:

Return spring:

View attachment Slant Link A02 B.jpg

Here is the rod from the kickdown pivot bracket to the carb. You need to pay attention to the direction of the tips and how the clips go on:

View attachment Slant Link A04 B.jpg

I have circled it here:

View attachment Slant Link A04 B2.jpg

Here is the kick down rod from the trans to the kick down pivot bracket where the linkage above goes to:

View attachment Slant Link A05 B.jpg

Here it is circled:

View attachment Slant Link A05 B2.jpg

More views of the kick down linkage from the trans to the kick down pivot bracket:

View attachment Slant Link A06 B.jpg

View attachment Slant Link A06 B2.jpg

The kick down pivot bracket from another angle:

View attachment Slant Link A07 B.jpg

View attachment Slant Link A07 B B.jpg

No, it is the check ball inside the metering block ... here is a link to the video that shows it and the other accel pump check weight in the first 5 minutes; this is part 2 of the Mike's videos for the 1920.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_BgrLEgrM&nohtml5=False"]Holley 1920 Carburetor Rebuild - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

BTW, Mike's has (or at least had) new floats for these.

So it seems my issue was int eh in the metering block. It is now squirting gas when I hit the throttle. She starts up no problem. Now I need to figure out why it wont stay running. My assumption is there is an adjustment Im missing. Would the float bowl height be a possible reason why it wont stay running?

So it seems my issue was int eh in the metering block. It is now squirting gas when I hit the throttle. She starts up no problem. Now I need to figure out why it wont stay running. My assumption is there is an adjustment Im missing. Would the float bowl height be a possible reason why it wont stay running?

Yes, float bowl height is an important setting...

-
Back