Holley 1920 missing parts - time to swap?

-

troubbble

Reaction score
TL;DR - My carb is missing parts - should I swap it for a new 2 bbl, search for parts, or buy another used 1920? My budget is about $250.

We started a rebuild on my 1920 and it is missing the baffle, float spring, and pump return spring. The float is also bad (edit: nitrophyl, fuel soaked - supposed to be 7.5g). We're not sure what best move would be, seeing how hard it is just to find the floats. We can get the float spring from Mike's, and according to Holley 1920 diaphram return spring we may not need the pump return spring, and the baffle we may be able to cut ourselves, but I wanted to get people's thoughts about it. Also, has anyone ever tried to 3D print a float?

Most other threads reference Walker parts but I've spoken to them and they've discontinued the 3 for this carb. This posting Holley 1920 float!! gives a NAPA part that I can't find.

We're considering going to a 2 bbl anyway, though then we get into researching a new intake manifold.

We can find some 1920s on eBay that appear to have the parts intact, but I imagine they would need a rebuild as well (which is fine, since we have the kit), but there's no saying whether or not the float is good.

List # is 6156, for reference.

Any insight would be appreciated! This is my first time around with this stuff. Thanks!

Last edited:
I got floats for my all my 1920's on ebay.....they have 2 weights 7.5 grams and 12.5 grams.....If you can weigh your old float with a gram scale you can tell which one you have.....Probably a few tenths of a gram heavier than posted above.....I have a new 12.5 gram float for a 1920 here but I do not have any of the 7.5 gram ones

I got floats for my all my 1920's on ebay.....they have 2 weights 7.5 grams and 12.5 grams.....If you can weigh your old float with a gram scale you can tell which one you have.....Probably a few tenths of a gram heavier than posted above.....I have a new 12.5 gram float for a 1920 here but I do not have any of the 7.5 gram ones

Thanks, I'll check again. I have the 7.5 (it weighed in at almost 9 so we're assuming, anyway).

Thanks, I'll check again. I have the 7.5 (it weighed in at almost 9 so we're assuming, anyway).
I just checked and I can't find them on ebay anymore either.....I bought these about a year ago on ebay and the guy was selling 12.5 grams ones but I messaged him and asked him if he had any 7.5 gram and he said yes, so I bought 2 of them and one of the 12.5 grams ....I used both 7.5 but still have the 12.5 left....

I remember when I did buy them though he was the only one on ebay with any float at all for a 1920

Swapping over to a 2 barrel set up will cost way more than $250, unless you find an intact set up from a donor and do all the work rebuilding/restoring it yourself. The later 1945 is an option, from the later slant 6's. Parts are out there for the 1920's and they are easier to work on than the 1945's.

that is the 12.5 gram...he needs the 7.5 gram....Also, just cause they show it does not mean they have it or can get it.....

So how come you can't use either of them and set wet float height to the proper level? 1920 all pretty much function similar

I am not an expert, but if they make two different weight floats, it is for a reason.....It is not the float level that matters as I think they are both 3/16 from the top of the casting....It is a weight issue....buoyancy issue.....I would think the float spring is heavier on the 12.5 gram.....If you would change that to one that is correct for a 12.5 gram float it may work....

How bad is the float? Flux and solder can fix about any brass float.

Thanks, but as my post said they don't actually have the part. As to your comment about adjusting the float level, I have read about people setting an different float level to compensate for a soaked or improperly weighted float, but haven't been able to confirm that it works. It doesn't sound ideal. As bbrroowwnn says, it seems like there might be a buoyancy issue or some other issue I just don't understand. I feel like if it were that easy to adjust for these differences there wouldn't be so many threads about people looking for floats. But also, I lack a real understanding of WHY. It would seem that you could find another 7.5g float that's roughly the same shape, bend the holder to be similar... But I don't know.

Hmm. Well. I have read nothing but good about the Daytona parts universal single barrel. Needs a manual choke. It's more suited to pre pcv cars. But could easily be made to work. Has an adapter to fit your stock air cleaner. Adjustable main jet. Less fussy to sset up than an aftermarket two barrel

slantsix.org You can find 1920 parts for days.

The "go to" setup is the Super Six 2barrel from a junk yard. 100% worth the time and hassle. Wakes the SL6 right up

Finding all the parts is the crappy part. I have a rough carter bbd and the intake and some of the linkage.

I found what really woke my 1920 up after the hei ignition upgrade was a bigger main jetting. 3 up on the mains really woke the car up for the upper rpm. it was even leaner jetted by one size than most 1920s I have seen. Notas good as a super six. But good tuning and tinkering pays off

Piecing together 2 carbs is what you might have to do. I am using a metering block from a different 1920 ofthe same vintage. That spare carb got me a good float and other parts too.

I pulled my Super6 setup from a wrecked van, 100% complete with the steel manifold as well. Guy wanted $300, or $275 if I would take the whole van so he could get it out of the yard :)

They are still out there

Depends I guess. In a province of only a million people....with only two big cities of only 200+ thousand people....pickins are slim on mopar stuff.

I pretty jealous of your guys massive selection from wrecking yard

I pulled my Super6 setup from a wrecked van, 100% complete with the steel manifold as well. Guy wanted $300, or $275 if I would take the whole van so he could get it out of the yard :)

They are still out there

So when you say you can find this stuff at a junkyard, do you mean someplace like LKQ or Martin's where you can pull your own stuff, or are there flat-out JUNK YARDS out there? (I told you I'm new to this, ha!)

I'm not sure how well I'd do at that - I wouldn't know which vehicles to look in, or if I'd know it if I saw it. Time to do some more research! Looks like post-1977? Are the carbs usually Carter BBDs?

I'm afraid I might get myself into a cycle of finding the wrong parts and then having to find more to make them work. I may have to ease into the junkyard salvaging after I understand more about what I'm looking at.

-
Back