Holley 1920 problem-too rich at idle

-

dusterny

Reaction score
I grabbed a trouble light and looked down in carb at idle. Gas is dribbling almost a stream down onto throttle plate. there is a small tube about half way across carb opening. Is this the idle system? No amount of adjusting can lean out this problem. I know squat about carbs. At off idle car runs fine.

lower the floats if it has any... Then if still doing it maybe lower the PV and check jets

Sounds like either the float is stuck or the needle is not seating well. You also may have a crappy gasket on the carb as well. You should not have a continuous dribble that is noticable. It should spray on pressing the gas and on idle maybe some gas should be visible but not alot. I would suggest a rebuild. Kits are pretty cheap and can be had from most shops. As a rule I would stay away from Auto Zone as they dont know 'squat' about older cars. I have decent luck with Napa and the parts IMO are a little better quality. In addition the counter guys know much more about older cars. Good luck!!
Chas.

One last thing I forgot to mention as you asked something about idle and an idle system. On that carb is a spring loaded screw pointing to the passenger side with a common screw (not a phillips). With the car off turn the screw in with a screwdriver until it stops counting the turns by halfs. Remember how many turns you did so you can back it out to the same place again. It should be no more or less than four to five half turns. In other words 2 to 2 1/2 full turns if that makes sense. This is where these carbs run with the idle mixture screw. Any more or less you got carb issues. My 1920 is tuned at 2 1/4 turns and only requires one pedal pump to start after sitting a week or more. Taking the car out to a show or for a cruise requires no pedal to restart (kind of like a new injected car). If you gotta pump the crap out of it the carb needs to be gone through.
Chas

-
Back