Holley 600 secondary adjustment screw

-

iw378

Reaction score
I have a holley 1850 that I have a question about.
In the picture I am pointing to a screw that sets the closed position of the secondarys.
Where should this be set at to start with and if it needs adjustment you have to take the carb off ??. Its going on a 318.
IMG_0073_zpspfvymv4l.jpg

Thanks

Set it so it just touches the throttle linkage, then 1/4 turn in more. If you have a short ratchet handle with a interchangeable bits, you can sometimes do it with the carb on the car. Your access with the intake manifold will decide that.

So I adjusted the screw from just touching then gave it another quarter turn. The slot is nowhere near exposed. I then cranked the screw in a few more turns to get this
IMG_0074_zpsz0oilfv0.jpg
Is this where you are saying to set the secondaries ?

The secondary idle screw is for a fine tuning of the idle circuit, not to match the front. Set it to where I mentioned, then proceed to turn in EVER SO SLIGHTLY IF NEEDED.

I have had anywhere from 1/16 to an 1/8 turn more be just enough to get the carb to run just right.

Set it so the idle slots are S Q U A R E. What part of that is not clear?

Set it so the idle slots are S Q U A R E. What part of that is not clear?
I can read and comprehend just fine Sir and I know what S Q U A R E means,(4 equal length sides perpendicular to each other). In my second picture it is square. If one person says to just get it touching then another quarter turn, and another person says to set it square why is there 3 full turns between the 2 different methods ?
Your insight on this please.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ROjrGAH2I"]How To Adjust The Secondary Speed Screw On Holley Carbs - YouTube[/ame]

It doesn't get any more official.

I can read and comprehend just fine Sir and I know what S Q U A R E means,(4 equal length sides perpendicular to each other). In my second picture it is square. If one person says to just get it touching then another quarter turn, and another person says to set it square why is there 3 full turns between the 2 different methods ?

You have the SAME internet we all do. HOLLEY says to set the slots so they are square. PERIOD.

That's STRAIGHT from the company that MADE your carburetor.

Keep in mind, that is a base line. Depending on your camshaft size, it might be necessary to make changes. It is something not written in stone, but making the slots square is the starting point and works for most street applications. We're not here to give you some BS advice.

Iwhy is there 3 full turns between the 2 different methods ?

Simple. Because you refuse to listen to ONE answer.

It's not our fault. Do what HOLLEY says and screw everybody else.

Simple. Because you refuse to listen to ONE answer.

It's not our fault. Do what HOLLEY says and screw everybody else.
I am not trying to be a asshole. I had what I thought was a somewhat simple question for a starting point. If the starting point for the secondary blades are to be adjusted so the slot is square I do not hear any mention of that in the video. If the law of the land says the secondary blades need to be set square to the slots why doesn't Holley ship them that way ??

Did you get it worked out? No need to fight, like RRR said, square is a baseline.

The right setting it's however it runs well.

iw378 i Fill you pain! the primary can be set to a square, no problem! the secondary is a little different. there is a vary small hole drilled into the bore and a vary small slit for the idle transfar slot. Setting it square just don't apply.

I played this game for a while and then gave up and drilled small holes in the primary butterfly in the end to get the idle screw to come in to play.

Set the front to a square and the back 1/4 turn and try it!

When I was a newbe,I took that secondary cracking screw out, and put it back in,with the screwdriver slot facing up. Then I could adjust it from the top; engine off/WOT. My 1850 did not have transfer slots in the rear barrels.I eventually found a really small screwdriver to do the job and returned the screw to its proper orientation.
That screw is there for several reasons;1)to prevent the secondary plates from sticking closed in the bores, and 2)to provide idle-air bypass for engines with big cams, such that the front plates do not have to provide that, and 3) to allow the carb to work on many different engine displacements and levels of tune.
If the Front blades are opened too far, the transfers start to flow more fuel than the engine needs, and the engine runs too rich.Sometimes it wants to stall, so you crank in more speed, which makes it richer yet.It becomes a vicious circle.The engine will probably continue to run that way,But the exhaust stink will be unbearable, and it will be too rich throughout the low speed range. Its also possible, if you get really far up on the transfers, to introduce other driveability issues.
So, as others have said, the front blades(primaries) are adjusted to a square transfer slot exposure, while the rear blades(secondaries) are just barely cracked open.This is the starting point. From here, if the engine does not idle at a reasonable RPM,then the ignition timings are manipulated first.If the idle timing becomes excessive to accomplish this, then the secondaries are opened a tad more, and the ig timing backed down.If tip-in problems occur, then the primaries are opened a tad to provide a bit more transfer fuel, the secondaries returned to baseline, and again the idle timing is manipulated.
After the idle timing is established, the power timing is determined, and then the rate of advance. Finally, the vacuum advance system is fine tuned.
But it all starts with the low-speed port sync-up, and the secondary cracking screw, together with the idle timing.These three have to be synchronized and established very early in the tuning regimen.Spend what ever time you need, to get this right, because once the power-timing is established, any changes to the idle-timing will require a rework of power-timing mechanism.Those two are married in the dizzy.
If you change cams,or intakes,or remove exhaust manifolds for headers, or change the compression ratio; these will all require a re-examination of the idle settings. And if the idle-timing gets changed, then the power-timing will also have to be changed.
The vacuum advance system can be tuned to cover and or alleviate many low-speed tuning issues, as well as decrease fuel consumption under cruising conditions.
Hope this helps.

iw378
print of AJ/FormS description above!!!!
Have It beside you while you are tuning!
That one should be put in a binder for safe keeping.

I agree with every thing AJ just said.........although i never do the vac advance, as its only idling or, at wide open throttle. :burnout:

-
Back