holley carb issue

-

22dog22

Reaction score
ok last year at the carlise car 2014, show in pa I bought a rebuilt holley 4 barrel carb, with mech. 2nd ardys, from a father and son team from upstate new york, just tried to fire up my rebuilt 318, filled bowls with fuel got engine running but found fuel on the front top of carb near the vent tube cleaned up fuel kept running engine to break in cam, looked again fuel there again shut of engine checked all screws, had trouble restarting car, appears was flooded held gas pedal down to clear out car started. carb was dry kept running to set timing finish breaking in cam which was a flat tapet comp. cam, looked again found fuel again at the same area, shut off engine did not want to burn up my car, after I shut off car I looked down the carb barrel seen fuel dripping down into intake, also a note while running the engine and keeping the rpm s up seen that fuel did not spray into barrel just seem to dribble into barrel I thought it should spray in ?? any way called the father and son duel I bought the rebuilt carb. from , reviewed problems they felt possible float was sticking advised to remove the front bowl check for debris in there , so I pulled the bowl off found nothing in there , checked the float valve it seemed to stick when the float was pushed up to close off, when the float came down the valve would some time hang up sometimes took out the valve cleaned it, did not see any debris or gunk there re assembled the carb. and am ready to restart the engine any thoughts as the problem ??

Well, that was hard to read, but I'll take a stab at it and ask if you set the float levels.

have you checked your fuel pressure, it may be to high.

Did you just stick it on and bust it off? You need to adjust float levels on any carburetor whether new, rebuilt, used, what have you. A used one in good shape may require float adjustment from one running engine to another.

The best thing to do would be to remove it, remove the float bowls, and adjust the floats with the bowls upside down. Looking into the upside down bowl, adjust the top of the float so it is parallel with the top of the float bowl. That is your baseline.

If the needle seat is questionable, just replace it. No use chasing the problem over a $12 seat assy.

thanks for the ideas to check, when I spoke with the person that rebuilt the carb, he did say that he set the floats to the base line, but did say I should fine tune the float level while the car is running, which is what i will try to do, but one of my concerns is that when you move the throttle to give the car more gas I think it is to spray into the carb, my just puts out large globbes of fuel not a spray ,

when you move the throttle to give the car more gas I think it is to spray into the carb, my just puts out large globbes of fuel not a spray ,

You need to identify just where this is coming from. Is it coming from the front (primary) boosters, from the rear (secondary) boosters, or from the accelerator pump nozzles?

Post the LIST no. of your carb, which, at least on older, is on the front of the air horn

This is a quick search of the www. The photo is a double pumper, pointing to the secondary pump nozzles, but you can see the primary in the corner of the photo

11123%5B1%5D.jpg

my carb Is a double pumper model 6989 600 cfm,when I called holley they told me is was a replacement type from a ford product, the fuel that comes out in globs is not at the front secondary pump nozzles but appear to come out lower down in the barrel of the carb. is also where the fuel leaks out after I shut down the engine and floods the intake with gas making the car hard to restart.

-
Back