holley carb question.

-

Nappa82

Reaction score
Can I put this in the cleaning solution?

20130126_194014_zpsa1b95b03.jpg

Where can I get this piece? I'm pretty sure its broke. Was like that when I took it all apart... FML. The plastic brown thing....

20130126_193959_zps2205d809.jpg

I took it off by gently spreading the ears and popping it off the pins. I was worried that it would be brittle, but it wasn't. Same thing for putting it back on. I may have one of those nylon thingies on a core carb; yours for the postage if you pm me an address.

If this is like the one on my 390 Holley, I think they are nylon of some kind.
I hope this gets taken care of soon, I know you are moving forward and need this soon.

I took it off by gently spreading the ears and popping it off the pins. I was worried that it would be brittle, but it wasn't. Same thing for putting it back on. I may have one of those nylon thingies on a core carb; yours for the postage if you pm me an address.

Pm sent.

Out of the carb and on its way to you. Those little buggers make me nervous; always think they are going to break, but haven't busted one yet. Tougher than they look. I wonder what broke yours? Maybe the ball check stuck?

Out of the carb and on its way to you. Those little buggers make me nervous; always think they are going to break, but haven't busted one yet. Tougher than they look. I wonder what broke yours? Maybe the ball check stuck?

Thank you!!

I am pretty sure it was broke before I bought the car. I bought it a year ago and everything was running fine till about 4 months ago. So I decided to rebuild the carb at the same time as changing manifold studs, gasket, and fixing an exhaust leak (Still hasnt been fixed).

Shes been stalling during stops at idle in drive for the past 3 weeks. Tore the carb apart. Ball checks are all good and the prings seem to be in really good shape as well. The only issue I saw was that one post was missing. Hopefully this will solve my idle issues after I get her back together, get rid of the leak and time her properly.

Looks like a Holley 1920 metering block. That is the part that you can't easily dissasemble and probably gets fouled, and why so many bad rebuilt ones are in the pipeline. I recall some posts on how to reverse blow the air ports to clean them.

The brown lever is part of the "economizer", as I recall. I think it actually serves to enrich the mixture at higher speeds, similar to the "power valve" in the bigger 4 bbl Holley's. It is activated by a vacuum piston. Your's has a 2-step enrichment normally, but only 1 step with the broken finger. I don't think it would be active at idle so probably doesn't explain your problem, which I expect is a "too lean" idle where it slows way down and shakes when you shift to D. That plagued me for decades thru several 1920's until I got a good one.

I don't think it would be active at idle so probably doesn't explain your problem, which I expect is a "too lean" idle where it slows way down and shakes when you shift to D. That plagued me for decades thru several 1920's until I got a good one.

This is what was happening. I am hoping the rebuild will fix this. If not I will be in the market for a new one. I have thoroughly cleaned the carb and all of its components. Crossing my fingers on this one.

I'm thinking of trying one of these carbs out.

"Our new universal one barrel carburetor is built to OEM specs with parts that are Ethanol resistant to allow it to perform and last longer with modern fuel mixtures."

http://www.daytonaparts.com/univ.html

I had the same problem with my Holley; one of the fingers broke off so I used another carb for parts and put it back together. I also bought a new float because mine was saturated. I'm pretty sure the float made the difference in the way it ran (which was good).

If not I will be in the market for a new one.
If it doesn't work, PM me. I have 2 Holley 1920's in the garage I could sell reasonably. I was thinking of playing with them on my 64 slant, though cable-throttle type (both? I forgot) and my car still has the rod. One looks almost new. I found it a few weeks ago in the trunk of a M-B 300D I was picking at Ecology in SoCal to fix my son's car while he met us at Disney (if I grabbed someone's stash, sorry you snoozed.). It has the upper vapor vent tube for later cars. Haven't tried either, but in-town and takes 10 min to swap a carb to try. Don't want you pulling your hair dealing with the bad idle like I did for years in my 69 Dart. It ran so smooth with the final good Holley 1920.

I'm thinking of trying one of these carbs out.

"Our new universal one barrel carburetor is built to OEM specs with parts that are Ethanol resistant to allow it to perform and last longer with modern fuel mixtures."

http://www.daytonaparts.com/univ.html

Im not really looking to buy new. Still thinking of going to a 2bbl or 4. Keeping the cost down as much as possible but I don't want to skimp around either.

I had the same problem with my Holley; one of the fingers broke off so I used another carb for parts and put it back together. I also bought a new float because mine was saturated. I'm pretty sure the float made the difference in the way it ran (which was good).

I will take a closer look at the float tonight. I thought it looked ok but I wasnt really paying to much attention to it specifically once I saw the little finger thing was gone.

If it doesn't work, PM me. I have 2 Holley 1920's in the garage I could sell reasonably. I was thinking of playing with them on my 64 slant, though cable-throttle type (both? I forgot) and my car still has the rod. One looks almost new. I found it a few weeks ago in the trunk of a M-B 300D I was picking at Ecology in SoCal to fix my son's car while he met us at Disney (if I grabbed someone's stash, sorry you snoozed.). It has the upper vapor vent tube for later cars. Haven't tried either, but in-town and takes 10 min to swap a carb to try. Don't want you pulling your hair dealing with the bad idle like I did for years in my 69 Dart. It ran so smooth with the final good Holley 1920.

This sounds like a good plan to me if everything else fails. Thank you for the offer. Nice to see someone in the same town pop in :icon_smi: I currently have the actual part coming in the mail thanks to DustyRoads. Once I put it all back together we will see.

Exactly what I needed thank you! Your a life saver.

Well after putting it all back together the stall out issue during a stop is actually worse it seems. Although the car runs a million times better during a drive. No more extreme shaking of the engine at higher speeds. Just cant slow down below 10mph or it just dies. Hopeing to fix or find out what I need to do to fix it this weekend we will see.

-
Back