Holley electric fuel pump

-

leblanc

member 2883
Reaction score
The fuel pump for my 76 Dart Sport will be a Holley electric one. I will be running a 600 cfm Holley on top of the 360, which is not much more than stock(about 300 HP). It will be street driven only. I have heard that Holley carbs use slightly more pressure than stock. Is there any truth to this? I would like to know at which setting I will set the pump at.

Holley red with no regulator should run at 6 lbs with your combo. If you step up to the Holley Blue with the regulator I would set it at 6 -7 lbs anyway but with the blue it will be regulated. Be sure to wire it correctly with an inline relay to the fuel pump switch.

if you`re going with that setup, why not keep it simple and go with a good mech. pump. holley makes a good one. unless you like to hear the noise of the elec. pump. just my pennies worth:read2:

Leblanc if your like me it'll only take about 100 miles and you'll be ready to throw that obnoxiously noisy electric pump in the garbage. I switched to a mechanical because the electric pump drove me crazy. Had to have the radio cranked wide open all the time to drown it out and my old ears don't like that anymore.

From experience, they work well WHEN they work........They are miserably undependable........and as the guys have said, they're noisy as Hades.

Stay mechanical if you can................8)

With 300 hp, a 600 cfm carb, and the stock 5/16" fuel lines a holley electric pump is probably overkill. I've been looking at going that route with my 400hp 340 build, 3/8" lines etc, and from what I've been told its overkill for me. I'm going to go with a hi-volume mechanical pump. No noise, no wiring, easy. Holley's are good electrical pumps, but other than a slightly cooler fuel charge you're not gaining much. If you don't have a vapor lock problem I'd stay mechanical, especially for a street driven car.

I've got Fishy's pump working on my Ramcharger right now. So far no problems whatsoever and since the pump is mounted relatively so far back, noise has not been an issue.

The Summit pump I had lasted through break-in and maybe another 20 miles. The truck used to have issues with vapor lock but I have no issues with that at all now since the fuel is pressurized from the tank to the carb. I pretty much followed the same routing so I don't think that has made a difference.

One odd thing though is that the regulator mounted to the firewall is noisy as hell. Weird. Thinking about rubber mounting it.

Anyway, 6.5 psi is fine for a Holley carb and I would only go 7 psi if I was running nitrous.

I posted an article on this last week and didn't get all my questions answered,so I'll try again since it is related, i have a holley blue and am going with a regulator but my question is do I bypass my mechanical pump or run in line with it. I do have a vapor lock problem.

Bob

Leblanc if your like me it'll only take about 100 miles and you'll be ready to throw that obnoxiously noisy electric pump in the garbage. I switched to a mechanical because the electric pump drove me crazy. Had to have the radio cranked wide open all the time to drown it out and my old ears don't like that anymore.

x2

leblanc, Where are you going to mount your pump on the Sport?

I posted an article on this last week and didn't get all my questions answered,so I'll try again since it is related, i have a holley blue and am going with a regulator but my question is do I bypass my mechanical pump or run in line with it. I do have a vapor lock problem.

Bob

Bypass it for saftey. If the diaphram in the mechanical pump ever lets go the electric pump will fill your oil pan full of gasoline. You know that ain't good.

Bob

Unless you're running mega HP and numerous carbs you don't need both pumps. If you're not going to run the mechanical pump then remove it and blank off the hole with a store bought plate or better yet make your own and save the money.

Terry

Unless you're running mega HP and numerous carbs you don't need both pumps. If you're not going to run the mechanical pump then remove it and blank off the hole with a store bought plate or better yet make your own and save the money.

Terry

Just weld one up. Mine's a combo block off plate and alternator strut. No it's not a GM. it's the Bosch that Memike sent me. :)

Oh yeah, Cudachick did the powdercoating on both the alt and my strut. Her work is second to none. No tapping holes at all. She knows her ****.

P1011020.jpg

Thank you Ramcharger!!!!!!! :love7: That engine compartment has come a long way in the last few months -- you've done an outstanding job my friend!

Hey, give me a call if you get a few minutes today or over the weekend. It's been awhile since we caught up.

-
Back