Holley jets

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was thinking today as I was looking in my Holley jet boxes. After many years it seems like you wind up with to many of some jets and run out of others!
What would you the masses thing about starting a swap thread? Right now I need a lot of bigger jets, like in the 90's.

How about buying some drills,and drilling out the jets to the size you need,mrmopartech
Brilliant,I got like 3 plastic boxes of them[holley boxes]..with everything known to a holley man inside,seats,jets ,springs etc...seems both of you have a good idea

I have done the drilling thing in the past and has worked out real well, with a good drill index (1-80 primarily) achieve about any orifice size you will ever want. The drill sizes usually increase in about .002"-.003" increments.

I was thinking today as I was looking in my Holley jet boxes. After many years it seems like you wind up with to many of some jets and run out of others!
What would you the masses thing about starting a swap thread? Right now I need a lot of bigger jets, like in the 90's.

I would assume that is where the too many of the sizes you don't need come into play. I was in the same boat awhile back and even though the jets are not too expensive to purchase, the auto parts store did not have the Jets I thought I needed so I started using the extra jets I had and drilled them out. Not saying its the right thing to do but if your in a pinch it works out rather well once you under stand the changes you get by drilling out a size or two larger.

Well that will work if you know the size you need. Problem is while your tuning you may need to go back smaller.

Or if the extras of one size is smaller then the ones that are missing, you can drill them out to the sizes you are missing so you box is complete. So going smaller jets would not be an issue

maybe this will help.............

Attachments

• holley.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 165
Drilling doesn't always provide what you think you may get. See that chart where the same drill size covers 3 jet sizes. More to it than the orfice size.

Then there is the issue with marking the jets for a proper sizing. I got a 1250 dominator with a 62 jet in it... :)

Drilling doesn't always provide what you think you may get. See that chart where the same drill size covers 3 jet sizes. More to it than the orfice size.

Then there is the issue with marking the jets for a proper sizing. I got a 1250 dominator with a 62 jet in it... :)

i`ve got a complete holley jet box, all there,w/ a few extras, if anybody needs it. went w/ fuel inj., and don`t need it now. --------bob

Maybe we can set up a swap box that one of you guys in the U.S. can be in charge of. When somebody needs some jets to try, dole them out and the user returns the unused ones. All shipping at the users cost. Anybody that has any extra jets can send them to the person in charge of the box and he can keep track of them.

maybe setup a box here in Canada as well. I would volunteer to take care of the one in Canada or maybe MrMopartech, (Scott) could take care of it here.

Jack

I think I have some in the 90's kicking around Roy. You are welcome to them if I can find them. I will look tonight.

Jack

How about buying some drills,and drilling out the jets to the size you need,mrmopartech

It is not recommended that you drill out jets. The jets are rated for their flow and tested for flow before being categorized. Just drilling with a drill may not have the same flow as blending in the hole. and you could damage a jet if you don't drill it properly.

Then if you drill out a set of jets and then end up putting them back in the pile, how do you know what it really flows. It no longer is rated for what it is marked for.

Or one of the drilled out jets may flow differently than the other. Then there may be a thread started here with "one bank runs rich, and the other is lean, Help! Nobody will be able to help if you don't say that you drilled your jets yourself. Holley does not recommend this process, if you wish to do it, that is your call.

the best and safest way to go is to buy the jets that you need and not try to modify them yourself.

i`ve got a complete holley jet box, all there,w/ a few extras, if anybody needs it. went w/ fuel inj., and don`t need it now. --------bob

How much you want for it. I'll take what I need out of it and offer up the rest for a member that needs what I have left over. Thanks

I will have a look tonight. The ones I have came out of a pair of E85 double pumpers. I just can't remember there exact sizes.

Jack

I see the case is 11.99! I wonder if they will sell me the jets for 7.00 and keep the case? The reason I started this thread was I thought others were in the same boat as I and we could swap around and every one would win? Maybe not.

I've always read that you should not drill them out but I think it's holleys BS just to get you to buy jets. I'm going to use the small lathe here at work and check some of my jets with our number bits and see how it stacks up against that chart. I think you could drill them and lightly debur and they will be fine as long as you stay close to the original sizing, in other words don't drill a #64 out to a #90 but a #75 to #78 should be fine.

Holley part number,36-181:64-99.56 bones. Just ,a heads up.

-
Back