holley problem

-

74valiant

Reaction score
i have a 600 dp holley with manual secondaries and choke. it was just rebuilt with all new gaskets. i put it on my 318 and i cant get it to stop leaking. it drips out of the back 2 or front 2 barrels into the intake at random. it will leak out of one set at a time and when i fix one it seems the other 2 start leaking. i can fix it and it wont leak for a few miles, and then it usually starts leaking again. sometimes it will leak and then stop on its own for awhile only to start back up. this carb is starting to aggrivate me (being new to these doesnt help) and sorry for the terminology. any ideas guys?? also, i noticed that there is an air pocket in my fuel filter that i can see bubbling from air going through sometimes. whats the deal with this??

thanks jason

Where exactly is it leaking from? The boosters? Its common to leak out of the boosters after a rebuild if you put new pump diaphrams in it, they will need to be readjusted if this is the case.

I would check fuel pressure and for contamination that might be keeping the needle and seat from sealing at times and check the float level

ok, heres some more in depth. i had the floats set by a very good carb lady. i saw they were set properly, so i thought it was good. went home about 5 to 10 miles and it was flooding out and wanting to stall. it was leaking out the boosters (downward facing injector in each barrel) ?? and out the vent tube a little. so i tried to adjust the floats and didnt get far. i did pull the needles a few times because everyone is saying thats probably the problem. never have seen anything in the needle itself though. it drives ok at the moment, but feels like it needs more gas. but when the fuel level is up it seems to leak. how do you adjust the pump diaphram???

went home about 5 to 10 miles and it was flooding out and wanting to stall. it was leaking out the boosters (downward facing injector in each barrel) ??

Yes, those are the boosters.

and out the vent tube a little. If the fuel was coming out of the vent tube, then the float is out of adjustment and needs to go downwards = less fuel in the bowl. There are a verity of makers of a plastic and cler site glass that is located on the side of the bowl to use in help setting the fuel level/floats. Mr.Gasket is one such maker.

The adjustment for them is sometimes a pain since it will require a really strong grip and tightening to stop leaking from the adjustment point.
Turn the screw clockwise to bring the float level down and to the bottom of the site glass. Fuel level is to be set at the bottom of the hole on the side of the bowl.

so i tried to adjust the floats and didnt get far. i did pull the needles a few times because everyone is saying thats probably the problem. never have seen anything in the needle itself though. it drives ok at the moment, but feels like it needs more gas. but when the fuel level is up it seems to leak. how do you adjust the pump diaphram???

The pump diaphram is operated via a plastic cam on the carb linkage. Leave it alone for now, focus on float level/ fuel level like I described within the quote and then tune the primaries further if need be. Then, if need be, the pump shot via the plastic cams.

thanks for the help. ill get on that and let you know how it goes.

thanks again jason

-
Back