Holley vacuum secondary float stuck?

-

65Valiant

Reaction score
Anyone have this happen, I made a run and the after it the carb was dumping gas into the secondaries, we then tapped lightly on the float bowl and it smooth out. What might cause it and how can I prevent it? Thanks Brian

Is the float stuck open or closed ?

If open - its either out of adjustment float set too low, or the float has a pin hole in it and it sinks allowing the carb to flood. Or it could be excessive pressure (unlikely if using a stock mechanical fuel pump)

If its stuck closed, its from crud in the inlet valve, or the float is way out of adjustment way way too high.

Determine which is the cause, and correct it. Good luck.

It could have been some crud stuck between the needle and seat preventing the needle from closing all the way. Since you "made a run", I'm guessing that you're talking a full throttle strip pass and that may have loosened up some rust or whatever from the fuel line or secondary float bowl fuel supply tube (depending on whether your Holley is a 4150 or 4160 series). I'd check my fuel filter for rust. If there is no rust, I would pull the secondary float bowl and check for old fuel residue, rust on the float pivot and float needle and seat condition.

Good luck!

-
Back