Holy crap!

-
Very cool! Is this a stock stroke deal? Would love to know the bore/stroke combo. I'm quite sure the cam spec is top secret....

Yeah I saw that, amazing what some high compression and big heads / induction will do

I caught that it was 409 c.i. Super Stock allows for a little extra stroke. Comp is a weird combo playground. So I was just curious if it was that straight forward.

I caught that it was 409 c.i. Super Stock allows for a little extra stroke. Comp is a weird combo playground. So I was just curious if it was that straight forward.
I'd think with the b1 head it would need to be all bore to make them work. Maybe even a bit less stroke for a bigger bore to make those heads work better.
Good question though

I'd think with the b1 head it would need to be all bore to make them work. Maybe even a bit less stroke for a bigger bore to make those heads work better.
Good question though
Fair enough. That's how the Wayne County Daytona engines were. They ran B-1 heads. Block was a different animal though.

I would bet 4.390 bore/3.38 stroke. That would be a .050" over 400 block. I amazed no vacuum pump at that RPM. Especially with a factory block. It will be interesting to see how quick it is in the car.
Doug

Oh yeah, that thing could probably use 2.75 primaries and yeah people are into their wives tales, lol
If only we had the room the Chevy boys do. Makes me wanna find an old Chevelle and build a Mopar Mountain motor for it. lol

Right. I sure would like to know where it is now and how long it's going to last. Might surprise us.
I'm sure sleeving that block would make it last a very long time, that's just a teeny stroke, I WANT TO BUILD THAT !!!!

I'm sure sleeving that block would make it last a very long time, that's just a teeny stroke, I WANT TO BUILD THAT !!!!
Yeah but all you ever see is everybody sayin "stroke it" all the time. There's a stock stroke 400 makin 1K HP. How long you think a similarly built engine would last at 650-700? Probably a good while.

Yeah but all you ever see is everybody sayin "stroke it" all the time. There's a stock stroke 400 makin 1K HP. How long you think a similarly built engine would last at 650-700? Probably a good while.
Definitely, that changes my thinking. (Wives tales)

Impressive deal for sure. That thing sounds sooo good all wound up! I've always wondered what a stock stroke 400 could do with a big roller, VERY good heads, and induction. What were the Pro Stock cars pushing for power in the early 90s? This reminds me a lot of those.

Impressive deal for sure. That thing sounds sooo good all wound up! I've always wondered what a stock stroke 400 could do with a big roller, VERY good heads, and induction. What were the Pro Stock cars pushing for power in the early 90s? This reminds me a lot of those.
It kinda does put Pro Stock in mind, doesn't it? ....and those had a 500 cube limit, right? I think that's right.

It kinda does put Pro Stock in mind, doesn't it? ....and those had a 500 cube limit, right? I think that's right.
Yes, they were at 500 then. I had an old Mopar Action mag that detailed the Wayne County engines circa 91-92. Big bore, short stroke deal with B1 heads. The block was unique in that it was a B block, but no skirts. The bottom looked like a small block with the caps hangin down.

Yes, they were at 500 then. I had an old Mopar Action mag that detailed the Wayne County engines circa 91-92. Big bore, short stroke deal with B1 heads. The block was unique in that it was a B block, but no skirts. The bottom looked like a small block with the caps hangin down.
That's interesting. I followed the Wayne County crew for a while but I never knew that.

Holy crap for sure that’s a beast of an engine it’s making 1.62 lbs-ft per cid never heard of an engine making that much thought 1.5 was around the limit.

Most would be happy with what that motor makes at part throttle :)

-
Back