Home Brewers?

-

RTom

Depressingly A-Bodyless..
Reaction score
Any other home brewers out here?

I just bought a home brewing kit and have been reading up on how to do it for a while. I think I still need a couple more things, but am excited to get started.

Do any of you other home brewers have any tips?

sorry i dont have any info for you ...i dont drink and never have but i wanted to put that funny pic i had seen before LOL :laughing:

[ame="http://youtu.be/T1l1oCyCZKo"]302 Found[/ame]. Some handy tips for you RTom,i usually use about 2 litres of boiling water to sterilise the fermenter before adding the mix and just use a tin of whatever be it lager,draft,ale and a kilo of dextrose instead of a special mix.You can use normal sugar too.

Just finished my first ever batch yesterday. Unfortunately it was a kit I got for Christmas that had "American Light" ingredients so it doesn't have much taste. Going to make an IPA next.

Yep brew all the time just did a batch tonight.... Temperature control is everything, not as important with your malt extract batch but very key with all grain. Also make sure everything is sterilized triplesan and one step are your friends. It's a lot of fun and a lot of work but can be very rewarding. We currently have 3 batches in primary fermenters, 2 in secondary fermenters, 2 in kegs carbonating and 1 kegged that we are drinking. Thats actually a light load for us lol

We brew everything here at the house as there are 4 of us brewing, I am perfecting my pale ale and have interest form a few bars in serving it on tap, my room mate does a killer ipa, another friend does reds and browns and another does stouts and porters. I need to add a pillsnier to the mix to round it all out...

x2 on the cleanliness thing... that is the most important thing. clean before, during and after, brewing, racking, bottling and not important when you get to the drinking step... ha ha. .. my 2 cents, get some books on the subject and have fun.. the book on the left is The Bible on brewing
I'll be bottling a Canadian Ale and racking a Swiss Lager today and drinking an American Lager during the big game ... go Ravens. :drinkers::drinkers:

Attachments

• DSCF4940.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for all the input guys! I thought I was good to go last night but didn't have anything to sterilize the carboys (sp?) with so I need to get that to get started.

I have a couple of recipes I'll be starting with but do want to get to the point where I can start brewing with recipes I put together.

Cleaning - cleaning - cleaning...
My pal bought a small private brewery, and everytime something goes wrong it's because of minor cleaning.
Check temperature continously...
And start with lighter beers, after some experience you can try stronger.

You can clean with bleach ( javex too) just don't use alot... ie 1/2 a cup in a bathtub full to clean bottle and maybe a couple of tablespoon full to clean a fermenter or carboy full... if your using javex ya have to wait a while , 2 hours or so, the longer the better. Then you have to rinse alot.. the cleaners mentioned above work better but javex will do the trick.

-
Back