Home grown stripe?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Has anyone masked off and sprayed a stripe on their car? How difficult is it and are there any tricks? I suppose if I got the surface very smooth (it a 15 year old paint job) and free of wax could I just mask it and give it a few light coats of gloss black? It would be a 'factory' stripe on my 65 NN4BB PAINT code Barracuda and would cover a slight blemish on the hood Ill have to put a spot of filler in. After I get it laid how do you blend the sharp lines into the surrounding paint, feather sand it lightly to knock the corner down and then buff? Hard to take that first step on an otherwise nice paint job. I have a compressor and a HF purple gun but I've seen some great results from high quality rattle cans and multiple light coats with it. Its a 8" total wide skunk stripe down the center with 1/2 inch masked border, just like the pics. I'd buy a decal kit if they had one but the spine on the hood would make application difficult.
s-l640.jpg

I painted this hockey stick stripe on my sons car years ago just to pick him out of 5 other blue cuda at the track. Easy to do. I may do it in vinyl on the on I'm building now.
20191006_155019.jpg

Nice to hear it came out. That sounds like the easiest option with the least learning curve.

Yes it should be scuffed. If you have a filler spot, a little primer will make it less noticeable. 3M makes a "Fine Line" tape that really helps with the abrupt edge the two tone can create. I like the blue tape.

Everything Bodyperson said... plus, pull the tape after the paint sets, but before it dries, so you don't get as much of a ridge.

Did mine while painting base coat. Painted the stripe area first in red then masked off what I wanted to keep and sprayed car silver then clear coat. Looks great. Special tape used for cutting paint for pin striping and stripes. When you spray clear over- in the area of the stripe you need as many extra coats of clear that you put color so there is not a cut line in clear.
D9751418-7817-4718-B864-7D923BC11161.jpeg

Before vinyl, stripes were painted on. I do like the freehand stripes. That is a dying art, popular in the low rider circles.

-
Back