Home made welding carts

-
Check out garagejournal.com...........do a search in their welding & Fabrication section.......many threads,different designs created by members.

Thanks I will check it out also.

Here's what I have for mine, these were retired tool carts from work I cut off the top 2 feet and used the rest.

I am going to get in trouble when I start bringing a of junk home.

This is what I built. Mostly from the 'webbing' of old scrap pallet racks. Great on solid surface, but you would need better wheels and wider stance for 'off-road'.

DSCF0496crop.jpg

DSCF0498.jpg

I notice most carts the welders sit at a angle, does it really matter?

Helps to see the controls... Some like the Hobart have the face angled back a little, but I mounted mine flat on the cart.

Helps to see the controls... Some like the Hobart have the face angled back a little, but I mounted mine flat on the cart.

Thanks for that,I had been wondering about it.

Hay cliffie, if you're like me, when you do build one, you're gonna need some pneumatic tires on it. I don't have concrete in front of my shop, yet, that's where I need my welder almost every time. Just a thought. Also, you will need a GOOD extension cord. You can make you one REAL cheap. Just buy the appropriate plug ends and get some electrical wire and make your own. Much cheaper than buying a big enough one to work. Just make sure you get wire hat's big enough, or you'll create too much resistance.

Attachments

• Lincoln Weld Pak HD welder.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 962
Hay cliffie, if you're like me, when you do build one, you're gonna need some pneumatic tires on it. I don't have concrete in front of my shop, yet, that's where I need my welder almost every time. Just a thought. Also, you will need a GOOD extension cord. You can make you one REAL cheap. Just buy the appropriate plug ends and get some electrical wire and make your own. Much cheaper than buying a big enough one to work. Just make sure you get wire hat's big enough, or you'll create too much resistance.

Good advice Rob I have a heavy extension cord I made a few years ago, I can change the plug ends if I need too.

I used an old hand truck and modified a harbor freight cart that they had on sale one week, then added a receptacle for easier plug in. As others have said just grab a heavy duty extension cord and change the ends to what you need. I used a 10/3 from Lowe's for mine.

Attachments

• 0130922_154234.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 921
  • 0130922_154309.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 957
I used an old hand truck and modified a harbor freight cart that they had on sale one week, then added a receptacle for easier plug in. As others have said just grab a heavy duty extension cord and change the ends to what you need. I used a 10/3 from Lowe's for mine.

Very cool, mine is a 120V unit from Hobart. But I have a extension cord like yours I made for a stove or dryer plug in.

You might still find one of these floating around the area if they didn't all find their way to the scrap iron recycler. One of the motels threw theirs away and went to plastic carts. I rescued one of them and have it down in the shop. It would definitely make a good base to start with since it has the large wheels. Mine has solid wheels instead of pneumatic as shown in the picture.

Attachments

• H1011.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,314
You might still find one of these floating around the area if they didn't all find their way to the scrap iron recycler. One of the motels threw theirs away and went to plastic carts. I rescued one of them and have it down in the shop. It would definitely make a good base to start with since it has the large wheels. Mine has solid wheels instead of pneumatic as shown in the picture.

I haven't seen one of those in years. All I have seen lately was plastic ones.

If you haven't already built one...
These are sold on another site. Very nice, stable, and 'off-road' capable. Kinda pricey but might give you some ideas.

this one holds my mig and oxy/ac torches

Attachments

• welding cart 001.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 852
  • welding cart 002.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 813
-
Back