Home recording equipment

-

mikesduster

Reaction score
What equipment and software do you use for your recordings in your home?? Looking to make a CD and wondering what you guys use to record??? Someone said to use "Garage Band"....Any good??

I was kinda hoping for a few posts about this subject to Mike. Although my group is regularly recorded, it is not at my house and I would like to start putting a lot of my own songs together on one nice sounding format, but with so many choices out there, I don't want to just jump and buy something. I hope a couple people chime in, and i'll ask on another forum I belong to and see what the general consensus is there. Geof

I am a musician and we record our own stuff. We use Sonar. But to record you will also need a quality microphone. I reccommend sennheiser. quality cables as well as one of many different devices you can use to plug your mic into and USB to your PC. but get a good one with peak limiters.

I have a nice wireless but cant remember what it is off hand. Paid like $250.00 about 5 yrs ago for it. Is Sonar a software??

yes, sonar is a recording software. it will also allow you to make a CD. Avoid wireless mics for recording. theyre Ok live. but to record you will get a lot of noise.

Garage band is nice but its Mac software. Audacity is free and works ok for cutting demos.

After reviewing a number of posts on another website I frequent, 2 programs seem to come highly recommended. Audacity is the first, offering simplicity and ease of use for most general purpose recordings. Next would be Reaper, which boasts a number of features to cover almost any general recording, and a lot of extras for specialized mixing to cover most all of your recording and CD making needs. They did say that a download of MP3 transferring software is advised and necessary to transfer your product to MP3 or CD. I'm going to look into Reaper myself, as I understand it is well worth the $60.00 pricetag!!! Geof

I've used Magix in the past, but I now have a Mac so GarageBand is my new favorite. I plug straight into the computer, no need for a mic. Or, rather through my Line6 TonePort. (Which they've now renamed it the "POD Studio".) With the GearBox software I have almost too many amp/cab/effect choices. I know purists hate the idea of digital amp modeling, but it's not like I'm recording to an actual tape, now is it?

I just downloaded Mixcraft 5 for a free 15 day trial. I guess is the equivalent to Garage Band and it looks pretty cool.
Im gonna look up the ones you guys suggested.

With the free trial software, see if it saves your tracks in a unique format. As in, you can't open it with any other program, and they're unusable when the free trial runs out.

dusterglenn is right.

I guess the bigger question is what are you recording and what quality do you expect to acheive?

-
Back