Homemade chin spoiler looking for some feed back please.

-
Looks good. I bought a 69 Z-28 spoiler awhile back for the Valiant.

Now, if you only had a friend nearby with another model of car, hopefully one more popular, then you could make another product

Now, if you only had a friend nearby with another model of car, hopefully one more popular, then you could make another product
Yea would like that but no one around close to me with an earlier A body.

Hand laid with fiberglass woven cloth. The design was hand built from a plug to a mold to the spoiler. My design not a reproduction of someone else. I'm not a company just an old guy in my garage having fun.
What did you make the plug out of AND what did you use as a shrink factor?

The plug was a 2 inch thick sheet of insulation foam board that I carved out and used bondo over that till I got the shape I wanted. Primered it then used a molding wax then mold release and made my mold. The plug was pretty much toast after that. No shrink wrap it's not carbon fiber.
or something that I wanted to show the fiberglass cloth and it's pattern. Took many hours and money to get to be a spoiler. My dad use to make fiberglass dune buggy's when I was a kid so learned a bit from him but really I am far from being an expert. Just enjoy building things.

By shrink factor I meant doesn’t the part shrink after it cures? So you make the buck a bit bigger than the actual finish part?

By shrink factor I meant doesn’t the part shrink after it cures? So you make the buck a bit bigger than the actual finish part?
I can't imagine it shrinking enough to make a noticeable difference. It isn't like it bolts to the fenders.

Did it fit?

They fit well enough. Most of the Camaro spoilers are ABS, so they’re pretty flexible. You can basically pull them into place with the mounting hardware, if you’re really intrepid a little work with a heat gun makes the process a bit smoother.

I have a ‘67 Camaro spoiler on my Demon tribute, it’s a bit taller and a bit narrower than one for a ‘68/69. The OER version sells for under $40 most places.

IMG_4641.jpeg

Well it dose shrink but not enough to notice. Kinda like the older Corvettes they did the same thing over the years but there still here and look pretty good so far.
The reason I made the spoiler to fit to the bumper brackets instead of the bottom of the bumper is first of all I hate the idea of drilling holes in a nice bumper. And factory, aftermarket or refurbished bumper is never the same from what I've seen. I believe I left enough room so it should fit every bumper.

They fit well enough. Most of the Camaro spoilers are ABS, so they’re pretty flexible. You can basically pull them into place with the mounting hardware, if you’re really intrepid a little work with a heat gun makes the process a bit smoother.

I have a ‘67 Camaro spoiler on my Demon tribute, it’s a bit taller and a bit narrower than one for a ‘68/69. The OER version sells for under $40 most places.

View attachment 1716181074
Looks good and the price is a lot cheaper than mine.

View attachment 1716181074
Mine was made only for a 73 and 74 Mopar not a chevy and made in America by a red neck North Dakota guy that has pride in his work and loves his Mopar. I could have bought me a spoiler that one size fits all for cheap but I prefer to spend the extra money and time to build what I want. Like I said You did a nice job fitting yours and the price was right.

Looks good and the price is a lot cheaper than mine.

They’re decent, hard to beat for the price! But they should be wider, and I think they work best on the cars that have a front valance. Your front spoiler is definitely better looking!

It is nice that the OER ones are pretty flexible, but I’ve still cracked one getting too close to a parking block. So that part’s nice for a daily driver like mine, cheap to replace if you have a parking block mishap.

Eventually I’ll make a proper T/A style front spoiler that’s taller and wider, now that I’m used to the front spoiler being there.

They’re decent, hard to beat for the price! But they should be wider, and I think they work best on the cars that have a front valance. Your front spoiler is definitely better looking!

It is nice that the OER ones are pretty flexible, but I’ve still cracked one getting too close to a parking block. So that part’s nice for a daily driver like mine, cheap to replace if you have a parking block mishap.

Eventually I’ll make a proper T/A style front spoiler that’s taller and wider, now that I’m used to the front spoiler being there.
You have some bad *** cars 72. Work in progress

Build your own. I don't know you that well but from some of your posts I've seen your more than capable of doing your own work.

You have some bad *** cars 72. Work in progress

Thank you sir! Yeah they're never finished are they?

Build your own. I don't know you that well but from some of your posts I've seen your more than capable of doing your own work.

Oh that's definitely the plan. I have a fiberglass copy of the AAR spoiler for my Challenger, like the one on the left. But an aluminum one for my "duster" should be pretty easy, like the one on the right. It's really just a flat sheet of aluminum really, I'll mock it all up out of cardboard first and go from there. I've done fiberglass work before, I built the bucks and did the body for a Formula SAE car back when I was in college (a long time ago!). But for a one-off I'd probably just do it out of aluminum. My Challenger will get the fiberglass one to go with the T/A hood I have and the ducktail spoiler as well. It will be a full on T/A tribute. The Duster will get the aluminum front spoiler, plus the MAS copy of the DC ducktail spoiler for the rear. And maybe an aluminum diffuser for under the bumper.

43576338742_71107de118_o.jpg

-
Back