Homemade chin spoiler looking for some feed back please.

-
Thank you sir! Yeah they're never finished are they?

Oh that's definitely the plan. I have a fiberglass copy of the AAR spoiler for my Challenger, like the one on the left. But an aluminum one for my "duster" should be pretty easy, like the one on the right. It's really just a flat sheet of aluminum really, I'll mock it all up out of cardboard first and go from there. I've done fiberglass work before, I built the bucks and did the body for a Formula SAE car back when I was in college (a long time ago!). But for a one-off I'd probably just do it out of aluminum. My Challenger will get the fiberglass one to go with the T/A hood I have and the ducktail spoiler as well. It will be a full on T/A tribute. The Duster will get the aluminum front spoiler, plus the MAS copy of the DC ducktail spoiler for the rear. And maybe an aluminum diffuser for under the bumper.

View attachment 1716181109
I just don't see the benefits. It seems like a plow through the air.
A design like Fred's would still direct the air around the car but be more aerodynamic. I suppose it depends on the race application too. A short track vs. a long track.

I just don't see the benefits. It seems like a plow through the air.
A design like Fred's would still direct the air around the car but be more aerodynamic. I suppose it depends on the race application too. A short track vs. a long track.

These cars lift dramatically at the front over 100 mph, the inset grille is a terrible aerodynamic design. That’s why the Charger 500 ditched it.

And it’s why the T/A and AAR cars got the large front spoilers, and it’s why the guys that vintage race these cars usually go even bigger on the front spoiler than the T/A and AAR cars did (ie, that challenger in my last post).

The basic principle is the less air that goes under the car the better. There’s always a trade off between downforce and drag, but because these cars lift at the front so much pretty much everyone that does high speed road courses runs a massive front spoiler.

The speed is the determining factor on whether you need one, like for AutoX the spoiler/wing stuff usually doesn’t help because the speed is usually sub 50 mph. But for a road course if you get up toward 100 the front spoiler on most muscle cars gets pretty darn big.

FFB844C4-FD48-4929-BC4D-9F7117E4F65A.jpeg

I have a little experience with epoxy casting. This is a mahogany pattern my dad made in his pattern shop. This pattern is for a aluminum sand casting. This is what patterns and models like like, you get the idea.

But,
523D0264-9303-4A18-9C12-A47862C42A57.jpeg

884BB519-86D9-4BCF-A8BF-460CCD15F7DC.jpeg

FEA7DB79-D6D2-4674-BD75-079642480E6C.jpeg

This is a epoxy and fiberglass cloth casting taken from a model and was used to cut a cavity and core in steel on a duplicator milling machine for a plastic injection mold and castings of the parts in epoxy for checking size. This is for a prototype mold making fiberglass impregnated plastic safety shoe inserts that was made in the 80’s. The project never made past prototype faze as they had a hard time filling the mold with material and the abrasiveness of the fiberglass impregnated plastic washed out runners and the core in the mold rather quickly. I do not have the original models the impressions were taken from.

There are quite dirty as they have been on a shelf for 40 years.

View attachment 1716181319
I have a little experience with epoxy casting. This is a mahogany pattern my dad made in his pattern shop. This pattern is for a aluminum sand casting. This is what patterns and models like like, you get the idea.

But,
View attachment 1716181320

View attachment 1716181322

View attachment 1716181321

This is a epoxy and fiberglass cloth casting taken from a model and was used to cut a cavity and core in steel on a duplicator milling machine for a plastic injection mold and castings of the parts in epoxy for checking size. This is for a prototype mold making fiberglass impregnated plastic safety shoe inserts that was made in the 80’s. The project never made past prototype faze as they had a hard time filling the mold with material and the abrasiveness of the fiberglass impregnated plastic washed out runners and the core in the mold rather quickly. I do not have the original models the impressions were taken from.

There are quite dirty as they have been on a shelf for 40 years.
That's cool and bet you could teach me a bunch. Thanks for sharing that. It's always nice to see what other members here do.

So I got an idea the work that went into your air dam. You did an awesome job with the “buck” and your air dam looks killer. Well worth the $300 your asking for them.

So I got an idea the work that went into your air dam. You did an awesome job with the “buck” and your air dam looks killer. Well worth the $300 your asking for them.
Thanks and yes lots of work but I am one to screw up and have to start over. :BangHead:

No, That was my dad’s and grandpa’s work. I’m not a pattern maker. I just know a bit from growing up around the pattern shop and helping out here and there. No way I’m even at your level.

Used to be you could buy a one piece fiberglass front end for a 68 dart. That company has went out of business I believe. $600 what a gift, wish I would have bought a couple. What a project making a buck that size. That is why I asked about shrink.

I wonder if that could be made to fit a 76. Anyone know how different the 73-74 bumper is from the 75-76?
I don't remember the 76 bumper but I think they used 5 MPH bumper brackets and if my memory is correct their round tubes.

These cars lift dramatically at the front over 100 mph, the inset grille is a terrible aerodynamic design. That’s why the Charger 500 ditched it.

And it’s why the T/A and AAR cars got the large front spoilers, and it’s why the guys that vintage race these cars usually go even bigger on the front spoiler than the T/A and AAR cars did (ie, that challenger in my last post).

The basic principle is the less air that goes under the car the better. There’s always a trade off between downforce and drag, but because these cars lift at the front so much pretty much everyone that does high speed road courses runs a massive front spoiler.

The speed is the determining factor on whether you need one, like for AutoX the spoiler/wing stuff usually doesn’t help because the speed is usually sub 50 mph. But for a road course if you get up toward 100 the front spoiler on most muscle cars gets pretty darn big.

agree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
also helped mine run a little cooler on the hi way , used to have a heat problem in the engine bay....

I bought this air dam 10 years ago on ebay for $75, the ad said it was for a 73 to 76 duster/dart but from the shape of it I thought it would work on my 72 duster. I did have to recess the center of the air dam to clear my license plate bump on the bumper but it turned out pretty nice I think. I can't tell you how many people ask where I got it or who made it, there were no markings or part numbers on it. I think $300 for yours is a good deal!

received_395423458321821.jpeg

I bought this air dam 10 years ago on ebay for $75, the ad said it was for a 73 to 76 duster/dart but from the shape of it I thought it would work on my 72 duster. I did have to recess the center of the air dam to clear my license plate bump on the bumper but it turned out pretty nice I think. I can't tell you how many people ask where I got it or who made it, there were no markings or part numbers on it. I think $300 for yours is a good deal!

View attachment 1716182018
I dose look nice and the car is fantastic. I'm not sure but if the 72 doesn't have a lower valance I believe mine would fit.
Wish I could barrow some ones 72 car to try it out.

I'm impressed with your projects! I do have interest in you console for my '65 Barracuda with stock Hurst 4 speed. Could you make a console for it?

I'm impressed with your projects! I do have interest in you console for my '65 Barracuda with stock Hurst 4 speed. Could you make a console for it?
I could if I had a 65 to make a pattern with. Would be a fun project.

Sand and shape it and I used bondo over that to get a nice smooth surface.

20201129_182651.jpg

Well considering I'm not an inventor like you, by the time I made 4,329 molds, it would be cheaper for me to have someone like you make one and it would be better! :rolleyes:

-
Back