Homemade oil pump drive assembly?

-

Wolfy2U

Army Aviation Retired!
Reaction score
Has anyone out here in /6 land ever made an oil pump drive assembly out of an old distributor? What I mean by this is: Has anyone taken a distributor, cut it down just to run the drive gear for the oil pump? I REALLY liked what this guy has done to the slant and wonder what he did with the old distributor and what drives the oil pump?
http://www.projectplato.com/cars/bigredhome.html

Thanks for the input on this! Oh, and RustyRatRod, If you don't mind putting some of your knowledge into this I would appreciate it!

Now to just sit back and wait for the response's on this one!
:happy1:

I'm not understanding your question. What does the distributor have to do with the oil pump drive? If you went distributorless, you could simply plug the distributor hole OFF.

I'm not understanding your question. What does the distributor have to do with the oil pump drive? If you went distributorless, you could simply plug the distributor hole OFF.

Lol.. I was trying to find your post about the air ratchet on the cam bolt,,

:banghead:
I think I got's myself a lil' bit tired n was thinkin' of gm products (wifeys 51 ford has a 283 in it and was working on it), went back n reviewed the internals on the /6 then realized the dizzy didn't have anything to with pumping the oil! I got to quit staying up till sunrise!
And yep, I still have EFI on the brain, so was thinking of doing the DIS system on it!

That would be cool. I reckon you could find the right size freeze plug and knock it in the dizzy hole.

I have a junk dizzy that I can use to cut the bottom off and plug the center up, that should do the trick. This is gonna be the first time I have truly built up a /6 they way I want. The last engine that I built up was a 440 in my 68 New Yorker that I had and that was back in late 80, so I am doing a LOT of research on doing this puppy up right! With that head and what I am planning on doing, it should be one heck of an engine. I contacted the rocker arm guys and they told me that I would have to run an oil line for the valve's in order to use the Buick rockers. They also told me that they have billet roller rocker's for $650. Didn't someone have those for around $350?

Never heard the oil line thing. And I've talked to Gary several times about it. Yeah it was Gary that offered the 650 rollers. Rocker Arms Unlimited. Is that who you called?

That's strange. I talked to him in depth more than once about it and he never mentioned it. I cannot see how they cannot make shafts that will oil on the stock heads. It's not difficult.

That's strange. I talked to him in depth more than once about it and he never mentioned it. I cannot see how they cannot make shafts that will oil on the stock heads. It's not difficult.

lol tube with holes in it... do the buick rockers not have valve/adjuster oiling hole?

Yep, when I looked them over they had two holes inside of the rockers, look like pretty dog gone good rockers at that!

-
Back