Homemade unilug wheels

-

scott2683

Reaction score
I bought this car not too long ago, and I noticed I would have a vibration above 2800 RPM's or above 60 MPH. I was pulling the wheel off the other day to measure for clearance for my other wheels, and I may have found part of my problem. Apparently someone decided to turn small bolt pattern wheels into big bolt pattern. I will never understand why people take short cuts like this!
IMG_0713.JPG

looks like some body run a unia-lug wheel loose and walla'ed out the lug holes to me, had set just like then on a 72 duster

What a great idea. You could sell them in Craigs list as Multi Lug wheels.
Seriously, You are probably lucky those wheels did not cause a wreck or something. Glad you found this before something happened.

does that center bore match the front hubs/rear axle? If it doesnt, you can get a centering bushing and maybe salvage them with some big shank lug bolts.

I thought at first loose lugs, but look at the holes. It only goes in one direction. Wow. Maybe if you torque the lugs to 200 ft pounds the wheel will stay centered and balanced. Only kidding.

Those old uni lug slots were bad about wallowing the holes out. A set I had way back when never would stay tight.

a good machine shop can weld up the lug holes and re drill then correct and save the wheels if your in to the vintage slotted mag look! we have had it done to aluminum big truck wheels that run duel and carry alot more weight than a A body! ant cheap but cheaper than a set of wheels...

a good machine shop can weld up the lug holes and re drill then correct and save the wheels if your in to the vintage slotted mag look! we have had it done to aluminum big truck wheels that run duel and carry alot more weight than a A body! ant cheap but cheaper than a set of wheels...

You can buy brand new slot mags for 129 to 160 bucks a wheel depending on the size. Id be surprised if you could find someone to weld, machine, and re-drill a wheel for less than that.

https://m.summitracing.com/search/product-line/u-s-mags-indy-u101-polished-wheels

You can buy brand new slot mags for 129 to 160 bucks a wheel depending on the size. Id be surprised if you could find someone to weld, machine, and re-drill a wheel for less than that.

https://m.summitracing.com/search/product-line/u-s-mags-indy-u101-polished-wheels
idk not into slots that much but some the older ones be worth it,the more common ones probably not! been years but the big truck wheel was way less than a used common verity aluminum budd truck wheel at the time,...said it can,..not that it should.

I couldn't believe it either! I actually had the wheels and tires sold, and when I pulled them off I took a picture and sent it to me friend that was purchasing them. I don't think I'd be comfortable with anyone running these wheels. I haven't pulled off the other three to see if they look just as bad, but I am going to assume so. I'm changing out shocks today, so I'll be able to find out.

My steelies just got back from powder coating yesterday, and my tires should be in on monday, so hopefully I can get everything swapped out pretty soon. I will probably just throw the slots on craigslist, the tires are like new. and they can scrap the aluminum, or use the wheels as hose reels or something.

IF he didn't use the correct depth lugs it won't tighten up correctly. X2 on the center register.

-
Back