Hone grit for moly rings

-

hwy2

Reaction score
I am getting a new set of rings and the top ring will be a Molly coated rain. What grit should I hold the cylinder with? It says use a medium but the stones don’t come in medium I saw 150 180. 220. This will be on the loose side, not on the tight specifications.

For final finish, I make little "booties" with pieces of "scotchbrite" pads and a staple, slips over the stones, and smoothes the surface to aid seating,
Saves buying a different set of extra fine stones, jmo
Standard procedure in my shops, dozens of times, by misc mechanics .
Cheers

IMG_20240205_120712_756.jpg

IMG_20240205_120727_934.jpg

My last stone was 220. Is that OK to then go to the Scotch pad?

I am getting a new set of rings and the top ring will be a Molly coated rain. What grit should I hold the cylinder with? It says use a medium but the stones don’t come in medium I saw 150 180. 220. This will be on the loose side, not on the tight specifications.

How much stock are you removing and what are you using to do it?

I’m just deglazing the cylinders. I am now up to 3.913 The piston rings I got in the re-ring kit or Molly ring. I know they require a finer finish. I just don’t know which stone to use for the final hone

Just in case.....it's also a good idea to hone with deck plates to simulate any bore distortion that the head bolts may cause when assembled. Some people go so far as to use the same head gasket that goes into final assembly as well as bolt on a head or deck plate on the other side and tightening the main caps to spec. Some have been known button the block up and run hot water through it! Yea, it's a bit extreme usually reserved for race engines but the rounder the bores when everthing is assembled, the better the seal and the longer the rings will last. Just do whatever is practical/affordable. If file-fit rings are used, file-fit with plates as well.

Use a 280 grit finish and send it. That’s all you need unless you are trying to move metal and it doesn’t sound like you have the tools to do that.

Don’t worry about any tricky **** with wet and dry paper or any of that.

-
Back