Honing with Torque Plates - How Important?

-
I was looking into a machine shop around here for a rebuild, A guy I work with recommended them as he lives next door to them and they have been around since 1958. I asked if they use a honing/torque plate when they do the cylinder boring, he told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and he knows more than me because he's been doing it forever, he told me I don't know anything because i'm a gearhead and to quit reading the hot rod magazines and to never come back! Time to keep searching for a good machine shop in the sacramento area.....

MrB,
Try... Horsepower by Gerolomy...Carmichael area.
consummatly anal (as it were) about correct procedure
& fit.
A bit rough around the edges, but ... I just think of it as
a 'no tolerance for poser mindset' :-D

Sorry for the hijack F.A.B.O . Familia.

hi, yes, BHJ recommended to bore and hone with torque plate. don't have to hone as much this way. usually just .003. if you bore without, then have to usually leave about .006 to hone. you have less distortion, by boring then honing with deck plates. honing does heat up the cylinder bores. just food for thought.

If you're really keen on getting your bores the perfect shape, you'll find a shop who can do a "hot hone". The block is warmed up before it's bored, so that it's the perfect shape when the motor is at operating temprature. I don't know how much of an advantge that would give over just using a torque plate though. I don't even know if any shops near me can do it. Can hurt though aye!

hi, for nascar racing, yes, rest of the world, not required , unless you want to spend a lot of money. if hot honed, then you have to run motor at that temp always, get it up there, then drive it. not very feasible for the average motor. just food for thought.

The procedure also helps the engine accomplish all the ability advised into it. Like the board top dyno sim assumes, a able-bodied built engine authoritative all the ability it can.

-
Back