Hood attachment

-

71Sc@mp

Reaction score
I had to cut the little toothed washers off of my hinge post to remove them. I want to reinstall my hinges and I can't find any washers like the originals anywhere. I did find some similar but they were too small or way to big. Help? Also, is there another way that may also help the hinges from being so sloppy moving from side to side? Whats the best way to install the washers once I do find them, and what are some of the others doing?

I'm not a huge help here, but whatever you do make sure you have something on there while you can still get to them, if not when you open the hood you will hear a bang, oops spring coil came off. Don't ask me how I know.

Have you tried Fastenal for the clips??

Good luck finding originals, I couldn't find them anywhere.

I did find something that might work at the true value. They have toothed push on retainers in the nuts and bolts area. I'm not sure what sizes they had but some looked pretty close.

Good luck

rtspecialties.com has the hardware you need and it will be oem pieces. I don't see them on the site... but in the past when I didn't see something on their site I have called them and they had excactly what I needed. So give them a call. When you put the washers on use a socket and mallet to drive them all the way on. This will eliminate side to side slop.

Aren't those captive washers?

Go look at the junk yard. Lots of fasteners remained the same WAY later.

Most bolts and screws on my 87 5th Ave parts car (and even an 86 Daytona FWD) are the same as my 66 Coronet!!

They're a push nut. I believe I've seen them in the fastener section (drawers) of my local Ace hardware. In a pinch you could use small hose clamps on the studs.

Let me know the diameter and you could have a new set for free if it's the right one.

I put the new clips on and was told about them coming off, so since I had access, I cross drilled the studs that the push nut goes on and put in a cotter pin. I added washers to tighten up the fit. It may be overkill, but they won't come off............

-
Back