Hood blackout question

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying another hood for my 71 Dart and installing the dual scoops and doing the hood blackout. However I won't be doing the black out on the cowl area. I want to leave my original hood alone and have the option of putting the original hood back on and not having the black on the cowl. Anyone have a picture of a 70-72 Dart done that way?? Think that would look bad with the hood and scoops blacked out but not the cowl area???

Picture 009.jpg

food for thought,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,find a vinyl graphics outfit and let them cover your cowl area, make sure the shade of black is the same though. I know it sounds funny but you may have to go with a satin shade to match the gloss of the vinyl

Here you go. I have over 2,500 pictures of Dart Swingers (linked in my Dart Swinger web site) but I could only find these two with the blacked out hood paint job not extending onto the cowl becuae the factory version extended onto the cowl.
http://www.mts.net/~hpokrant/

Hood1.jpg

Hood2.jpg

I'd like to do the same thing to my '71 Dart GT as well, including the cowl area. However, I'm thinking of using high gloss black vs. satin (matte) black.
Does anyone have the actual dimensions of the blackout treatment (including the body color space)?
I've seen some cars with the blackout hood treatment that fits between the the hood's raised body lines, and other hoods where the blackout hood treatment extends outside (past) the hood's raised body lines. Which is correct?
The BLUE Dart above shows the blackout hood treatment extends outside (past) the hood's raised body lines.

I dont know the exact measurements but be careful if you go with gloss black i know a few people who have and the sun shines on it very badly and it is blinding on those sunny days especially if it was a good paint job and the clear on top really shines. i think it would look good but just wanting to let you know before you do it

Since you're not going to be cloning the original factory hood blackout treatment, how about leaving a thin band of color on the back edge of the hood? Radius the back corners of the blackout area slightly and use a thin black pinstripe around the outside. I think this will finish off the area nicely, give the blackout area a custom look, and won't look like you 'forgot' to blackout the cowl.

The hood blackout on the blue Dart pics I posted is not a factory paint set-up and that's why the black goes outside the hood buldges. The factory original black paint on the hood stops just inside the hood buldges like the pics below. I also posted pics of a Dart to show you what the gloss paint hood looks like. I think that is way too shiney. The factory color is a flat black but a semi gloss can work as well.

58185658_3.jpg

Orange Dart 1.jpg

45_1_B.JPG

0a60_3.jpg

carcrazyguy,

What scoop(s) will you be using?
If you are going for the twin hood scoops, like those on my car, I would suggest the repops offered from www.moparsbycrane.com.
I would stay away from the same twin scoops offered by Year-One, as I ordered, received, & returned 3 sets due to poor quality.
Let us know!

Dan

Mopars by Crane no longer carry the twin hood scoops...I have spoken with them a few times about it. They own the molds, but to make a very long story short the guy that was making them for Mopars by Crane is no longer doing work for them and they havent found anybody that does the work that meets there standards. I ended up getting mine from stinger Fiberglass http://www.stingerfiberglass.com/products/charger/Hood%20Scoop/index.shtml
I also hear that PG Classic is offering some now also

I still had an original set stashed away!! :) I just need to get the chrome bezels and the mounting hardware. Any recommended suppliers on those??

For a 1970 Dart Swinger, wouldn't you use the two separate scoops since the combined twin scoop was for the Duster? The hood you have is already roughed in for the two scoops as per my mounting instructions below.

Hood Scoop Mounting.jpg

carcrazyguy,

I got the chrome bezels from www.moparsbycrane.com as well. Year-One also had the chrome bezels, all 3 sets they sent to me looked good. So either place would probably be OK.
I don't know about the mounting hardware as the MBC scoops had 1/4" X 20 barrell nuts molded into the scoops (8 per scoop).

Good Luck,
Dan

For a 1970 Dart Swinger, wouldn't you use the two separate scoops since the combined twin scoop was for the Duster? The hood you have is already roughed in for the two scoops as per my mounting instructions below.

Yes I am using the factory style dual scoops like on the blue Dart above on both my 71 Dart and my 70 Duster.

Also THANKS for posting the picture diagram of where the holes need to be drilled.

I have a template I bought from a guy - used it once and here it sits - just tape it to the hood in the correct location (Dart or Demon) and mark all the holes and sizes per instructions. Made it real simple. I had a fiberglass hood and didn't have the steel "superstructure" to give me a guide so it allowed me to get it right the first time. PM me if you'd be interested in it.

Ya, for the fiberglass hood, the template would be usefull but for the steel hood, everything is already roughed in for you so its would actually be easier to use my posted instruction set above. For cutting the holes, use a very fine tooth metal cutting blade on a jig saw. First, lay a scrap of 1/2 inch plywood under where you will cut the hole and drill a 1/2 inch pilot hole close to the edge of the hood scoop hole you want to cut. Next, insert the jig saw blade in the pilot hole and cut out the big hole through the tin hood and the plywood at the same time otherwise you will get a lot of bounce.

If you need a good set of the rubber hood scoop seals, I sell these regularly on eBay or directly.

Keith....do you have any pics of your scoops mounted?? I would like to see the quality and fit!! I still need a set for my 70 Duster project.
The car and scoops are currently at the body shop getting paint....Hoping to have it back in a couple weeks. Here are a few pics of the scoops when I took them out of the box.

DSC00805.jpg

DSC00807.jpg

I got the mounting hardware from stinger for 16 bucks. I know the ones PG Classic are like 250 and include mounting hardware and the bezel for 275.

-
Back