Hood Clearance on 72 Duster

-

daddio4048

Daddios72
Reaction score
Planning on using a Edelbrock air gap performer intake on my 340 & was wondering if there is any hood clearance issues ??

It depends on your air cleaner. Some will clear, some will need a drop base.

I've run my 340/Eddy air gap with a few different combinations, all with Holley carbs. Current carb is a Holley 750 DP. I initially ran it with a Mopar Performance air cleaner and no modifications, with no carb spacers. It closed fine, but after while I noticed that with the engine vibration the fins on the air cleaner would rub against one section of the hoods under bracing. Didn't really hurt anything, but you could see the finish on the fins were marred and there was a shiny spot on the hood bracing.

After that I swapped out the MP air cleaner base for a drop base, no issues. I added in a 1/2" carb spacer, no issues. I wanted to go up to a 1" spacer, realized it wouldn't clear, and went to a 2.3" tall K&N air filter element.

This is the air cleaner element I use now

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-e-2865

I used a Ford racing drop base that I had to scavenge from a Ford racing 13" air cleaner kit to keep my MP air cleaner lid. But mancini sells drop bases for the MP lid now...

http://www.manciniracing.com/mara13aircld.html

This is a shot with the MP air cleaner lid, drop base and 1/2" spacer. After this I went to the K&N filter and a 1" carb spacer.

IMG_1911_zpsff86839b.jpg

My buddy has a 71 duster. He's running a 360 with an airgap and holley 750.
He's running a 14 by 3 inch air cleaner with a drop base. 1 inch of hood clearance checked with play dough.

@72bluNblu - I had been looking at the Mopar cast air cleaner since I run the equivalent valve covers. The air cleaner lid is listed as 12 3/4" - I didn't realize that you could run a 13" filter element with it. Good to know!

@72bluNblu - I had been looking at the Mopar cast air cleaner since I run the equivalent valve covers. The air cleaner lid is listed as 12 3/4" - I didn't realize that you could run a 13" filter element with it. Good to know!

Yeah it's a little tight on the edge but it works good. :D

You can buy the K&N 14" dia, 7/8" drop base: PN 85-3545
or the 14" dia 1-1/4" drop base: PN 85-3549

Then the 14" lid: PN 85-6842

Then 14" elements from 2.5" and up in 0.5" increments: e-37xx series of elements

-
Back