Hood Clearance Valiant

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi,

i have a `68 valiant sedan with slant 6. Want to convert to V8 with the stock K-Member and Schumacher mounts. Does anybody know if the hood clears with the EDE Performer RPM Air Gap intake? Or is a hood scoop a must?

Thanks for your answers

greetings Michael

My 67 Dart fits with an airgap, Holley Avenger, 1" spacer and a generic Summit drop base air cleaner. Has almost a half inch of clearance from the top of the air cleaner nut.

My '72 Valiant (same hood as yours, I think) has a 360 Magnum with a Crosswind intake, which is a close copy of an Edelbrock Air Gap, and it's supercharged with a fairly tall carb bonnet (see photo) on top of the carburetor. The hood closes nicely with no scoop, bulge, or anything. I think that bonnet is about 3" tall.

Lots of vertical clearance without a scoop with these hoods, apparently.

I don't think you'll have a problem unless you put a really tall air cleaner on there, or lots of spacers under the carb.

You might consider asking Schumacher if those adapter mounts place the engine in stock location, vertically. They MIGHT be taller, but I seriosly doubt it, since that would disturb drivetrain geometry. Nah.... that's not gonna happen... I think you're gonna be okay with this, no scoop needed.

100_3226-3.jpg

Thanks guys for this information, should fit without any problems - fine, because i dont want to cut the original hood and cant get one with a scoop.

@Bill: nice setup you have there, how much boost you want to run? I like supercharged engines!

greetings Michael

Hey Bill being you are older than why don't you make a trip to Calif. and then you can help me put the vorteck on my dart wagon. I have had this in myy garage for 9 years. I got New Mexico went me and the took the car on the HOT ROD Power Tour and I was going to put on 5.9 Magum fuel injection but the wife said no. So now I have the wagon and she don't care what I do with it. So being you got more expertize come out Ill buy your lunch and Dinner

Thanks for the kind words, guys...

360 wrote; "how much boost you want to run?"

Heh heh... about 30 pounds! Unfortunately, this is on a stock 360 Magnum short block with hypereutectic pistons that disintegrate at the slightest hint of detonation, so I think I'm going to be running a MAXIMUM of 10 pounds, although the blower will probably make more. I have some friends with Grand National Buicks that run 25 pounds, but they spend half their time replacing head gaskets. I am too old for that s***... Seriously.

64 Dart GT, insofar as California goes, I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 24 years (from 1980 to 2004). I had enough traffic jams, idiotic smog inspections, crazy street people and stratospheric real estate prices to last me the rest of my life; couldn't WAIT to get back to Arkansas! NO smog inspections here... and an "antique" plate for your 25-year old car is a one-time-only fee (I think it was $17.00.)
No annual license fees for old hot rods... :)

Bring that Dart wagon here to Faulkner County, and we'll see if we can hook you up with some boost... I made two extra Vortech mounting plates when I built mine; they're available to anyone with Magnum heads who wants to attach a V-1, S-trim Vortech to their motor (might fit others, too; I don't know.) See attached photo (the standoffs don't go with the plate, but they're easy...) $100.00 each... about what I have in them. They MIGHT work with L-A heads; I am not sure about that. Has to do with the positioning of the accessory mounting holes that are drillled in the front of the head. They may or may not be the same on Magnums as the L-A motors.

Come on down.........:profilel:

Ol' Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

100_3230.jpg

100_3228-2.jpg

100_1922.jpg

What does a setup like that cost, I have magnum heads on my Valiant, I could use some boost.

I will give you an itemized list of "ballpark" figures of what I spent on mine.

One thing to consider... I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer... I'm sure a lot of guys can do this a lot more cheaply that I did it; just a caveat.

I could have, I suppose, gotten a ProCarger kit from the Supercgarger Store, and saved a few bucks, I dunno...

I wanted a Vortech (brand) blower, after reading about Powerdynes, Prochargers, Paxtons and Vortechs. I think there's a new company making them since I made that choice, but I can't remember its name.

But, to get to it...

Supercharger, a V-1, S-tri, Vortech, ner in the box, $1,000.00 off ebay.

Carburetor, a 4150-series Hollley 750 dbl. pmpr. (vacuum secondaries won't work) $900.00 (NINE HUNDRED dollars) from the Carb Shop in Ontario, CA.

Half-inch fuel system including a fuel cell and two electric pumps (one, a backup; I don't trust 'em.) Including a lot of A-N fittings and some VERY expensive hose, and a boost-oriented regulator and by-pass system, probably $1,500.00, and that's conservative... more lilely $2,000.00.

Home-brew mounting plate and charge delivery hardware, incluing a blowoff valve, pulleys and a serpentine belt to drive the blower, maybe $350.00, and the guy who sold me the blower GAVE me the bottom serpentine pulley.

MSD BoostMaster ignition system and coil, $400.00 (estimate; I don't have time to look it up.) But, that's close... Not really a necessity... could do without it.

OIl filter system and delivery hoses for blower: $75.00 (another close estimate, I think). Again, not a necessity, just something I wanted to do.

Not a cheap deal, and there are lots of ways to pick up 100 horsepower without spending all that money. Nitrous is a lot cheaper, so you pays your money and you takes your cherce... :)

Hope this helps.

Bill

100_2847-2.jpg

-
Back