Hood Hinge Pin gone

-

Cliff'sDodge

Cliff's66Dart
Reaction score
The wind in our area was so strong that it blew my hood up and off the hinge pin on the driver's side. Upon replacing it I realized there was NO hinge pin. I assume it was spot welded on. How do I replace it and with what? Does the fender have to be removed? Need some advice from you pros.

The wind in our area was so strong that it blew my hood up and off the hinge pin on the driver's side. Upon replacing it I realized there was NO hinge pin. I assume it was spot welded on. How do I replace it and with what? Does the fender have to be removed? Need some advice from you pros.

I`d bet u will have to remove the fender. Would be hard to work up in there w/ just the rear splash pan removed. Probly weld a new pin in the old location.

Did you ever solve this problem? Mine top one just busted free. Took the fender off but still can’t reach the pin. It’s behind sheet metal on the kick panel.

Did you ever solve this problem? Mine top one just busted free. Took the fender off but still can’t reach the pin. It’s behind sheet metal on the kick panel.
No, I can see the hole of the missing pin through the door jamb. Since I am not a welder, I wondered if I can drill through the hole and place a bolt from the inside of the upper dash. Can you take a photo since you have your fender off and post it?

No, I can see the hole of the missing pin through the door jamb. Since I am not a welder, I wondered if I can drill through the hole and place a bolt from the inside of the upper dash. Can you take a photo since you have your fender off and post it?
I found another member's conversion to gas struts. There are good photos of the hood hinge pin here: Hood hinge has struts

I found it in the bottom of the Driver's Side Kick Panel. So, if your fender is off and you find the pin, it can be welded back on. It looks like you have to either attach a wire to the pin and fish it up through the kick panel access and weld it from the outside. I'm going to replace it with a bolt, washer and a lock nut.

Hood Pin.jpg

Hood Pin2.jpg

-
Back