hood hinge problem,help!

-

cooltx

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has had this problem before. My hood hinge spring somehow was off the stud when I got the car.(it's the stud sticking off the body and the spring is held on by a star washer).Anyway if somebody knows of an easy fix let me know.Oh yea it's a '72 Duster.

do you mean you just butted the spring up against the stud and tack welded it?

Is that toothed washer missing ? If the hindge is bad the spring tension will casue it to flare sideways . It will scar the fender so people set the spring off.
Raise the hood and check the hindge for excessive lateral movement.
No need to reattach the spring if its going to come back off again.
The easiest way to service the hindge is drive the hindge pins out of the door and set it off. You'll need a floor jack with a piece of 2x4 under the door
and a helper. I throw an old towel over a old tire and lay the door on that interior panel up when servicing door or hood hindges. Good luck

Reset the spring, put a flat washer over the stud against the spring and then drill a hole through the stud for a roll pin.

Remove the splash gaurd on the inside of the wheel opening, reach up inside the fender, push the hinge onto the stud and put a hose clamp on the end of the stud.

-
Back