Hood hinge question

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
This will be one of those "No s--t questions". Just took the hood of of my 72 Dart Swinger. Now I'd like to remove the hood hinges. Any tricks or easy way of doing this? Also, any idea of the bolt size? Kinda looks like 1/2"
Any help would be cool.
Thanks

Should just have two crush on washers per side on studs that stick out. Thing to do is cut them washers off or pry them off and go to the hardware store and buy new ones. They are a one time use thing. At least I don't know of a way to take them off with out destroying them.

The hood hinges are not bolted onto the body. They mount on two pins with a one-way circular clip holding them in place. If the fenders are off, it's not difficult to remove those clips and reuse them. If you're trying to do this through the door and/or splash guard, it's not so easy but still doable. A small bent screwdriver (and a bunch of WD40) is what I use to release that clip.

It is bolted to the back inside of the fender right behind the front tire. May be able to reuse them clips but there only a few cents each at the hardware store.

It is the piece that is bolted on when you look into the wheel well, looking from the front towards the rear....

If the car has been undercoated, you may have to dig for the bolt heads!

Here's the splash shield and hinge.

Attachments

• a01 (Medium).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 155
  • a04 (Medium).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 157
  • a20 (Medium).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 162
Glad I don't plan on putting them back on. Just starting to get everything ready for my AlterK install and stuffing a blown 440 in. So, no room for the hood.

Ya I see that in your avatar. How about some more pics of that sucker? Looks killer.

Actually, that is not my engine. I nabbed it, along time ago from a Charger site. It's been my inspiration. My 440, currently is a 572 (blower friendly build). At present it has dual quads. The blower will be my last thing before stuffing it in the Dart. First the AlterK, cut the 8 3/4, etc, etc.
Money priorities...

-
Back