Hood hinges 65 barracuda

-

Frank Dinatally

Reaction score
Hi all

You all have been a great help when I needed you! Todays question is this

Don’t want to use the torsion bar on the hood. Need suggestions on what to do to replace them with? Is there a spring loaded hinge that I could use to replace the hinges with that would hold the weight of the hood. As always thanks in advance

Frank

IMG_0090.jpeg

On my Valiant I just took off the torsion bars to strong for my bolt on fiberglass hood. I use a prop rod for now.
@Mopar Tim has a nice gas lift system. I plan on doing but you have to remove the front fender to install it. Nice car!

On my Valiant I just took off the torsion bars to strong for my bolt on fiberglass hood. I use a prop rod for now.
@Mopar Tim has a nice gas lift system. I plan on doing but you have to remove the front fender to install it. Nice car!
There is a thread showing how I did it. I have seen several a bodies at shows using my idea. FYI you only need to remove fender to install initially. If you need to replace them just remove the splash shield...

I borrowed Mopar Tim’s hydraulic lift idea on my 65 Dart wagon and am more than pleased with the conversion

what's wrong with a prop rod like lots of modern cars have? no moving parts to go wrong, no leaking gas struts and so on. simple is good and reliable as a rock. :thumbsup:
neil.

For the hood struts I used (as Tim did) the struts from a late 90’s/ 2000s Mitsubishi Montero rear hatch

This is what I did for the original hood as a test. Ended up shaping the mounts to look better. It's since been replaced with a custom fibreglass hood where the struts have covered mounts. These struts are 530mm long 350n pressure if I remember correctly, it's been over 10 years!

1.jpg

3.jpg

This is what I did for the original hood as a test. Ended up shaping the mounts to look better. It's since been replaced with a custom fibreglass hood where the struts have covered mounts. These struts are 530mm long 350n pressure if I remember correctly, it's been over 10 years!

View attachment 1716255574

View attachment 1716255575
That's badass. Took me a second to realize that it's right hand drive. Nice work!

Hi Tim Going to go your way of mounting struts . Any pic of how you mounted to door jam? Or maybe just the location on jam.. you are correct much cleaner
I made post. But. Top mount goes in second hole in hinge. top most. Then prop hood open to where you want full open to be. The bottom mounts right against the pinch weld. Drill two holes bolt it in. Really easy...

I'll see if I can get pictures off my laptop..
How long have you had the struts this way up Tim? All supplier information I have read state they should be the other way up to maintain the lubrication to the seals. They reportedly will lose pressure quicker when the main body is not at the highest position. I have my struts exposed as the original plan was for a speaker enclosure to be where your struts are.

-
Back