Hood Inserts For '67-'68 Barracudas

-

RLF Cuda

Barracuda Bob
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have had my '68 Formula S FB 340 for 54 years now. Purchased it in June 1969 with 17,000 miles on it. It came with the finned hood inserts like most Barracudas and I always thought that was just how it came stock. Wondered why it didn't have the 340-S inserts, but thought it was just an early production car (7 Dec 1967 build date). During the restoration, I began to notice a number of things wrong with the front end of the car. There was a weld in the right frame rail in front of the UCA, the radiator core support was brazed in place and offset about 5/8" back from where it should be. Thinking through the history of the car, the original owner said it was hit in the rear hard by a PU truck but didn't mention any other damage. But I suspect the frone end was hit hard enough to bend the front frame rail meaning the fender, hood and apron including the front core support were repaired/replaced. So I suspect that the hood was taken from a '67 and the 340-S inserts were left off.
So my question is, what were the different hood inserts available for the Barracuda and when were they used? The obvious ones are the finned ones which were most common. But what about the ones I am now using in the photo below? The 340-S and 383-S inserts are also obvious. I think that the ones shown in the photo are perhaps stock for some '68 models, or maybe they replaced the finned version for '68. Here is a link to a '68 318 with the same inserts. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-plymouth-barracuda-34/

Anybody know the real application of inserts by year?
Thanks for your input!

Front End View Hood.jpg

I've always thought the finned ones were '67 and '68 had three different types.....the plain, 340S, and 383S.

Finned were always any motor in '67 except 383. Finned in '68 were any motor other than 340-S and 383-S. That simple.

All 1967 were fully finned as 383's used fender badges. No fins on 1968 as they were "block" styled and came as plain (mini finned) 340s and 383s.

So, what applications used the ones I have on my hood now? I picked these up probably 40 years ago from a Pick-a-Part somewhere in SoCal when I lived there but hell if I can remember what year they came off of.

Here is a photo of the type of inserts I now have on the car but what year/model are they for? I know I should have the 340-S inserts, but they were never on the car when I first bought it in '69. The 340-S version is very hard to find and expensive.
1711385566849.png

1968 that's an excellent set... there was just a 340 s set on ebay a few months ago for 225.00. They needed restoration but I missed them. They were sold before I could get home!

Those are the standard '68 inserts thar came with all the 6cly and 318 cars.

That is what I thought but didn't know for sure. Thanks! I will have to look for 340-S inserts to make the car correct. But I have done a number of upgrades to the car so it will never be "stock". Here is what it looks like last week. Need only a few details and alignment to be done. Hopefully this week. Cars Remember When (Littleton, CO) has done an outstanding job on the paint and assembly.

Cuda with Windshild Installed.jpg

Hood with '68 Inserts.jpg

that's a beauty...nice rim choice. Put a want ad on here for the inserts...you never know. I have seen them go for over $1000.00 or as low as 200.00. There are issues with restoring them due to the "pot" metal used to make them but it can be done.

My guess in the original owner liked the 67 trim better and swapped them out. My grandfather talked about adding the 68 marker lights to his 67 when the 68s came out. It is just what people did.

Alan

We are building a 67 convertible with an s car anti sway bar, 1967 cast 340, 68 340 s inserts, and several other 1968 parts partially due to we like some of the 68 parts better and the 68 150 mph speedo was easier to get than the one year only screw on 67 speedo. This car was a base convert 273 2 bbl and they do not sell for anything like a Gen III car so why not "improve it" rather than keep it original.

-
Back