Hood issue Valiant-72!

-

crazyswede

Reaction score
I tried search but couldnt find what i was looking for. I got a problem with my hood "warping" when closed. All the way down to when the securityhinge goes in it is straight and perfectly aligned but as soon as i close it fully i guess it would be when it reaches down to the hoodspring i get the feeling that the spring is pressing the hood up on the driverside leaving a big gap between the hood and the grill! where on the passengerside its almost completely tight.

Ive seen several pictures of both valiants and dusters having this type of issue and wonder if anyone knows a fix for it. Its highly annoying.

Regards
Staffan

You can see it on these pics i found even though mine is slightly worse then those
Duster%20017_zpsqa2q2nys.jpg

Valiant-2_zpsr10qizih.jpg

I had the exact same issue, and the wind would pick the hood up there in the exact same spot and flex it while I was driving. No amount of adjusting the latch, hood stops, or the rear hinges helped push it down. I eventually got rid of the spring and latch and hood pinned it down, that was the only thing that fixed it, but I doubt you want to go that route.

I was thinking along the line of making a rubber spacer that bolts on the passenger side to prevent the hood from going down that low. that should even it out on the driverside aswell. Just curious if someone already taken care of the problem sucessfully!

Well, the thing that got me the closest to having it sit all the way down was to adjust the latch behind the grill down, and move the hood stops up a little tiny bit, so it was basically lower in the center and higher on the sides, but eventually the hood latch just moved up again and it was back to crooked. It's worth a shot.

Thanks for the replies...will certainly try adjusting those. havnt looked closely enough to realize that you could adjust that hoodlatch.

Looks like the hood stop on the driver's side is a little too high. Lower it a turn and see if that fixes the problem. You may also have to slightly lower the hood latch to keep tension on the hood when closed if you do that, otherwise the hood may tend to lift a little when driving. Whether you need to do that depends on how much you lower the stop and how much tension is on the latch now.

Well problem got solved. I forgot about this thread but thought i post back with the solution. At one point my car got fiberglass fenders and the person putting it on did ditch the adjustable rubber thingys. Hence why i didnt notice any. I made my own adjustable stops from a few nuts and bolts and some rubber wiht a screw on i had lying around and now it closes even as it should be!

-
Back