hood scoop paint

-

JFenton

Reaction score
I own 71 Dodge Demon and was asked what type paint is used on the 71 and 72 model hood scoop. It looks more like vinyl with no gloss. Asking if anyone has found paint code or can spray that works and looks factory. Thanks for any help

if it's like the AAR/TA hoods, I believe they used Organisol on the hoods and such. The last I heard, some company bought up the last remaining supplies of it. So I don't know how easy to get/cheap, it is now.

PM me. I'll help you with your questions. Just got thru with what your asking about.

DSCN1890.jpg

20190918_191059.jpg

20190906_191243.jpg

This is the best that I have found. You can get wax on it. You can wipe drops off of it . It always looks perfect . No tiger striping or discolor. Matches mopar stripes perfect. Does not chip when hitting big bugs at high speed. LOL Believe me this is the paint you want to use. I hve tried all others including Hot Rod black. Flatteners and all different makes. Been painting since the 80's. This My opinion. Oh yeah I forgot to mention it even reflects the same as the factory stripes under the lights at night

DSCN1698.JPG

spoiler pics 205.jpg

spoiler pics 660.jpg

dus2.jpg

duster show.jpg

scan0001.jpg

image1.jpg

DUSTER ON LINE.jpg

New pics 374.jpg

I want to thank everyone for the help / think they are going with Ditzler black /it looks so good in pics may redo my 71

Be careful Ditzler HR black molts like metalic as seen in the pictures of the black dart if you look close you can see its blotchy. It is an overall paint for overall paint jobs. Pick the right tip . Tony would know if he is using it with good results.

One other thing the blackout does not have a high paint edge that you will feel as Hot rod black does. Just the nature of the beast. Blackout is used on all new cars for Accents, Stripes and accessories. I ordered mine for a Ford. Same mix for many makes. I like the relective finish of the ford it matches the mopar textured/flat stripes .

I don't care how you put blackout on you cannot screw it up. Wet or dry application it always dries the same. No blotchy finish. Its like putting a metalic base coat on but no clear needed. You will never know until you spray them both. The cost is a lot more but it only takes 2 coats. and Hard as a rock when dry. 1.4 tip with blackout.

We are doing a Duster soon. Scoop , spoiler and V24 340 Wedge black will all be painted at separate time. Hood will be painted by itself and the side will be painted another day. They will all match perfect. That is how good this paint is for this accent use. Every panel on the duster above was painted separate to eliminate the chance of dirt. I don't have a good down draft booth. Shiny you can buff flat you can't.

spray-gun-tips.jpg

My photo is a cell phone picture. Yes it looks funky in the photo. But in person it's dead on 100% flawless.

Spray it heavier than you normally would. Give it double the flash time between coats. You will do fine then. Yes it drys blotchy the first coat. Don't panic.

I'll tell you I really like the blackout used on all the new cars. A grade school er can spray it. The finish is always the same and there is no paint edge. If you would ever try it you would be amazed. One coat is nice . Two coats is no different just the proper mils. When complete even though you spray things separate it looks as thought it was spayed as one.

Spray it heavier than you normally would. Give it double the flash time between coats. You will do fine then. Yes it drys blotchy the first coat. Don't panic.
Funny story about first coats drying blotchy. Last fall I stripped the 6 year old, cracked and crummy looking gold vinyl swooshes off of my RV and hand masked them and painted on new ones. I painted them a nice maroon color. I have been painting for about 40 years now, so I know what I a doing, but I guess my wife had never watched me paint. So after HOURS of taping and masking, I spray on the first light coat of the maroon. Of course I am not going for full coverage on that first coat. My wife was watching, and she just about had a stroke. The first coat looked like a blotchy bright red mistake. She was saying, "STOP, STOP, that is the wrong color." I told her to relax, and a few coats later, she started breathing again. It looks real good. I can only guess what I would have paid someone to do it for me. Still have to do the black, but I ran out of time this year.

-
Back