Hood scoop question

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Looked around and couldn't find anything, what are the dimensions (mainly length and width of the mounting area) of the dual-snorkel-style hood scoop like was on the later Dusters, Dart Sports etc? Not the twin scoops like on the earlier models. I'm looking at buying a scoop from AAR Fiberglass but I want to get an idea of how big a hole I can cut in my stock hood since the engine is offset but I want to mount the scoop centered on the hood.

You can safely cut out the "diamond" area within the underhood bracing. Many of the studs should align with holes in the bracing for access with the nuts. Might require a little trimming larger for clearance. There have been threads about locating the scoop and someone may even have the template. But I used one of the center holes in the bracing (I believe it was in the rear.), and the rest laid out fairly well.

FYI - Never available on Dusters and only on '72 Demons and '73-'74 Dart Sports.

There are actually 2 OEM versions. One has just about a flat base for the Demon and the other has a little raised area to accommodate the corresponding raised area of a Dart Sport hood. But people have used them on incorrect hoods with minimal issues. AAR may be able to contour the base fit either one, or a Duster hood.

Tried to send PM, but box is full!

You can safely cut out the "diamond" area within the underhood bracing. Many of the studs should align with holes in the bracing for access with the nuts. Might require a little trimming larger for clearance. There have been threads about locating the scoop and someone may even have the template. But I used one of the center holes in the bracing (I believe it was in the rear.), and the rest laid out fairly well.

FYI - Never available on Dusters and only on '72 Demons and '73-'74 Dart Sports.

There are actually 2 OEM versions. One has just about a flat base for the Demon and the other has a little raised area to accommodate the corresponding raised area of a Dart Sport hood. But people have used them on incorrect hoods with minimal issues. AAR may be able to contour the base fit either one, or a Duster hood.

Tried to send PM, but box is full!

Thanks for the info, I checked my inbox it's only 7% full? Not sure what's going on there...

Ideally I want to cut a hole big enough so my air cleaner can fit through and it's 14" diameter, so I'm guessing at least 7.5" from the center of the stud to the edge of the hole in the hood (radius). I will eventually make something to seal the air cleaner to the underside of the hood.

forphorty that's awesome, exactly what I needed! I just need to go out and measure my hood now.

It "might" be on this forum, but somewhere I saw where someone made a sealed ram-air set-up that looked like it could have been from the factory. It may have been using the 2 OEM 4" holes/locations, but not 100% sure.

-
Back