Hood Scoop Ram Air and Rain Question

-

Big_Schitt

'71 440 Demon
Reaction score
I recently got the custom cold air intake up and running, and I just saw it may storm heavily for part of Hot Rod Power Tour (I plan on attending). Do I need to drill a couple of drain holes, make sure I have a 1/2" or more gap in the seal or just not drive if it starts to rain more than a drizzle?

I may just be overthinking this. I know a small amount of water in the intake does not hurt anything, but that doesn't make me less nervous.

Any advice?

Demon Cold Air Intake Left.jpg

I drilled a small hole in front and rear on mine ( large round cake pan sealed to hood). I run a k&n, you may want to get one or carry an extra paper filter. Water and paper don't play well together.

I have to say I really like that base plate you made!

Cley
I built the same thing, only round w/ a k-n filter. am thinking about a removeable rear seal on the back of it, and carrying a couple of pieces of foam rubber cut just right for the 6 pack scoop openings , when caught in the rain.

If anyone is interested: What I have decided to go with is just keeping a normal air cleaner base-plate and an extra filter in the trunk. If it starts to rain hard (and I will be stuck in it for a while) I can just pull over and swap the air cleaners. After various research I think my setup is going to be fine 99.4% of the time (0.6% is my estimate of heavy rain during Power Tour).

I think if it were me (and it is in a way) I would drill a hole at the back of that baseplate and run a drain tube down the back of the motor.
I just put an open scoop on my car but I don't have the baseplate design, so I think I'm just going to get a section of latex foam rubber and cut it to fit the scoop opening.
That way I can just stuff it in the opening if/when I have to drive in the rain.
I was going to put a door inside the scoop that could be cable operated to open and close a sealed door, but it was way too much work to do at the time and I needed to get the car back together.

Just a thought.

You can buy the water -blocking sock that goes over an oem style k&n, iirc. Passes air but not water. Used by off road guys

To quote:"water repellant, not water proof"

K&N Air Filter Wraps

I have to say I really like that base plate you made!

Cley
Based off of this 1972 Dodge Demon - Second Chance with a few changes. I had discussed this idea with the local shop (Ideal Performance) that helps me out with issues that are over my head. When I had it in the shop getting a leak fixed which I didn't have the tools to attack, they decided to go ahead and build it as a gift. I was very happy to say the least. The guys over there have a healthy appreciation for a-bodys.

Go to a craft store and get a big piece of foam and cut it to fit the scoop. That will keep the rain out.

I think if it were me (and it is in a way) I would drill a hole at the back of that baseplate and run a drain tube down the back of the motor.
I just put an open scoop on my car but I don't have the baseplate design, so I think I'm just going to get a section of latex foam rubber and cut it to fit the scoop opening.
That way I can just stuff it in the opening if/when I have to drive in the rain.
I was going to put a door inside the scoop that could be cable operated to open and close a sealed door, but it was way too much work to do at the time and I needed to get the car back together.

Just a thought.
If you ever do that, I'd love to see it...

-
Back