hood scoop

-

0ld school

Reaction score
On my 68 cuda, I have a 588 rb motor in it. No way it will fit under the stock hood. I see you can get a fiberglass one with a super stock scoop. They have 2 sizes of scoop. One is 5" tall and the other is 4".

My motor has an indy 3x with a dominator. Does anybody run a similar combo? Need to decide what size scoop to use. I really want to use the 4", as that would look correct on the car....

Last thing. Which is a better quality hood Glasstek or AAR? This will be a bolt on hood.

On my 68 cuda, I have a 588 rb motor in it. No way it will fit under the stock hood. I see you can get a fiberglass one with a super stock scoop. They have 2 sizes of scoop. One is 5" tall and the other is 4".

My motor has an indy 3x with a dominator. Does anybody run a similar combo? Need to decide what size scoop to use. I really want to use the 4", as that would look correct on the car....

Last thing. Which is a better quality hood Glasstek or AAR? This will be a bolt on hood.
===
No help w/ ur manifold or whose hood is the best, but? I have a r/b 505 in my 68 fastback. I currently have a torquer 2 intake on it w/ a drop base air filter, 14 x 4 1/2". The intake is a choke point on mine, because of my cnc`d raised port heads, but I want to run an air filter. w/o the filter clearance would not be a problem. My hood is a lift off /6 pack. I`m currently building a flow devise to compare runners on intakes so I might come up w/ something else for mine. My hood came from fiberglass unlimited, and actually fit better than any other fiberglass hood I`ve ever had. I agree , that the tall scoops look funny.--------bob

IMG_20170827_122753824.jpg
I
IMG_20170708_181442029_HDR.jpg
could be mistaken but, I thought alot of guys used 5" pro stock scoops to cover tunnel rams. I've gt a BB w/edy Rpms and a weiand team g and dominator. Fits under a hemi SS scoop with a 14"x 2" tall element air cleaner. Dunno if that helps any. Some pics for reference.

Last edited:
===
No help w/ ur manifold or whose hood is the best, but? I have a r/b 505 in my 68 fastback. I currently have a torquer 2 intake on it w/ a drop base air filter, 14 x 4 1/2". The intake is a choke point on mine, because of my cnc`d raised port heads, but I want to run an air filter. w/o the filter clearance would not be a problem. My hood is a lift off /6 pack. I`m currently building a flow devise to compare runners on intakes so I might come up w/ something else for mine. My hood came from fiberglass unlimited, and actually fit better than any other fiberglass hood I`ve ever had. I agree , that the tall scoops look funny.--------bob
Bob, are you saying it is tight with a torker, no air filter, and a six pac hood scoop??

Bob, are you saying it is tight with a torker, no air filter, and a six pac hood scoop??
NO, a 4 1/2" air filter on a dropped base. Have about 3/8-1/2" clearance to the under side of the 6 pack scoop.. If I can get the flow numbers close to the same , I might try to re-rig everything for the team G I`m playing with.. It has terribly diff. runner sizes, and flow scatter, but has a big plenum and is shorter than victor or trick flow, which is what I would run if not running an air filter or a taller scoop. Changing things much is too expensive for me right now. The team G might work w/ less air filter, but seems to me a big engine needs a bigger air filter, and plenum. Especially one as big as yours ! Keep us posted on ur build and changes -etc.--bob

This is an Indy intake with a 1" spacer and a 4" air cleaner on a standard base.

Glasstek bolt on hood.

00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg

600884_10201040518484549_997686560_n.jpg

943197_10201040519284569_1106180996_n.jpg

947400_10201040518644553_1110053745_n.jpg

the combo I ran at one time was the same as yours but less cubes. you will need at least the 4" scoop, the 5" will be better, BUT, read on this will give you right at 1" to 2" over the carb, which is enough to get the correct air flow. you will have to install two stiffeners equally spaced at the front on the scoop to keep it from flapping up and down at speed. also bolt that hood down real good front and back or it will raise up in the back or rip off at the front. that scoop catches a lot of air. don't seal the carb to the hood or all that crap will be worse. my recommendation it you want it, to keep from going through all the problems and time it cost me is to forget about it and go with a hood like on rocodart440. I didn't like that type either but then again I suffered through it and lost.

also bolt that hood down real good front and back or it will raise up in the back or rip off at the front. that scoop catches a lot of air. .

Note the hood pins in addition to the factory latch on my current dart

This is a POS AAR hood that needs about a grand worth of body work to make it right.

20150430_150814.jpg

both cars look kick a$$ to me. I couldn`t run either one on my fish, ''I don`t think"

Thanks. The cowl one would work. The 6 pack one wouldn't.

Especially if you run the 6 pack hood or similar run a K& N extreme air cleaner (breathable top) It make a difference.

I have a glasstek and the quality and fit was perfect.

Thanks. The cowl one would work. The 6 pack one wouldn't.

Especially if you run the 6 pack hood or similar run a K& N extreme air cleaner (breathable top) It make a difference.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
just happen to have 2 of them under the bench, neither one will clear my scoop.

-
Back