Hooker 5204 headers with power steering

-
Reaction score
Good morning everyone.
I found a killer deal on some 1 3/4 headers (5204-1hkr) brand new and ceramic coated.
My question is: does anyone know if adding them to a power steering equipped 72 (borgeson kit) with a 360 is just a matter of banging on a tube or is the routing of the primaries absolutely not going to work. I don't mind massaging where needed.
Thank you all in advance.

Good luck

The #1 tube is going to be a problem is my guess

3 & 5 might be interesting as well.

Maybe get them, flip and buy a set that are designed to fit. Once you get done beating them, the ceramic coating isn't likely to be much good on the driver side header

Last edited:
Those have a slip tube for #1 cyl, and goes straight down thru the k frame, I haven't installed a set in a long time but with the smaller Borgeson box, I feel it should fit .
Specs say it fits .
jmo

Which spec? Hooker says no PS. Don't know the size of the other box, but the 1 and 3 tube are likely stumbling blocks on any install with PS.

I still think flip and buy a good fitting set is the way to proceed. What is your time worth and hammering/ruining a set of ceramic coated header into worthlessness. Just my 2 cents

Which spec? Hooker says no PS. Don't know the size of the other box, but the 1 and 3 tube are likely stumbling blocks on any install with PS.

I still think flip and buy a good fitting set is the way to proceed. What is your time worth and hammering/ruining a set of ceramic coated header into worthlessness. Just my 2 cents

I absolutely agree with everything.
The modern design headers are far superior in all aspects.
I used to run that set, and remembered the slip tube, and installed a few sets, just can't remember if any had p/s.
I searched for a p/s on a few sites, non mentioned p/s.

Thanks guys I appreciate the Input. I searched all I could and couldn't find much, even called holley they stated it would fit everything described with power steering except 70-72 duster ...so yea.
I think I'll pick em up and see how bad the fit is when the time comes I'm a few months out since I am litterally right now tearing my top end off and starting the whole front end rebuild.

400 bucks for brand new in box 1100$ headers so no big loss either way I suppose I can always re sell em.
My car is originally a 318 car drums all around so I put in a 8 3/4 with sure grip, hotchkis leafs qa1 shocks and discs. I'm just now getting to the front. Also re did floors and frame rails so it's taking some time.

People at holley have no clue what they are talking about. Sad state of the industry. A 70 Dart, 69 Cuda, 68 Dart are essentially the same exact front clip, as a 70-72, yet it fits those and not the duster. yeah OK.

For $400, even if you just shelved them, you won't go wrong!

Find an old hooker catalog online. It will be in there plain as day what it fits and doesn't. The new catalog is SO wrong about what these headers fit. LOL The summit site has the correct fit info for that header on their site.

There are people here that know more than the "pros" at most manufacturers these days.

All good @inertia I thought from the comment that there was a spec somewhere saying 5204's fit PS cars.

Last edited:
Well I picked em up and they're brand spanking new not a scratch on em.

20220221_211358.jpg

20220221_211352.jpg

If you don't need a 1 3/4 tube I would sell them and get some Doug's. Much nicer for a street cat. More ground clearence.

If you don't need a 1 3/4 tube I would sell them and get some Doug's. Much nicer for a street cat. More ground clearence.

Agreed, I imagine you'd be able to sell those Hookers for at least the same cost as a set of ceramic-coated Doug's. I got some a few months back I think they were around $650 shipped with an AutoZone discount. Excellent quality btw they're works of art, I'm afraid to install them on the car lol.

Found this gem while I was doing the top end tear down. So I'm in the process of finding another block that I can bore to size and reuse pistons if the skirts don't look too bad. If the pistons are trashed I'll likely go stroker. Good times.
With that said anyone in California got a block(magnum or LA)

Screenshot_20220223-220618_Gallery.jpg

-
Back