hooker headers

-
How about you folks who are running a 440 in your Dart.What are you running? I keep hearing people say the way to go are Hooker fenderwells,1-7/8.What do you think?

Dusterboy15, for my 318 I bought Spitfire Headers. They are a short header and may not flow as well as TTIs, but my car is being set up to be a strong street runner and not a track car. The real plus is that these headers are $225 including delivery to your door. Mike

DSC00822.JPE

fast318dart said:
im going to be installing a 416 in my 74 dodge dart and was wondering if the hooker super comp 13/4 would work since i have a manual box because their only listed 1970 to 1972 thanks guys

Will they fit?............Yes. Will they fit without some tweaking?.......No. For one, if you run a factory front sway bar, the sway bar mounting bracket blocks the opening in the k member that the #1 header tube on the super comps must go through. If the car is going to be for the strip, just yank the sway bar and you're good to go. If it's going to be a street car, you'll need to relocate the sway bar mounting brackets to allow the header tube to go through the k member opening. Secondly, there can be some interference with some types of oil pans such as the Milodon, and this will require some hammer work to the tube that is hitting the pan. Third, though not necessary, would be to install a mini-starter which would make future work in that area much easier. Good luck with your project.

I just installed my 360 in my Dart Sport. I used the 1 3/4 Hookers. These are for manual steering & have a header tube that slips in both sides. Of course my engine was out, so this made them easier to install. The center link does go thru them. I have the manual steering box with the adapter to the power steering colum. This moves the flex joint up. It also helped with clearence. I like the fit real well. No problems with installation, good room around the starter. I like the way the tubes tuck up under the car. Some one had stated that these would not work with the 1973 & up K-member, They fit my 73 just fine. My first choice would be the TTI's, but at the time I didn't have the extra $200.00. You would think the volume of the TTI's would be there to make them cheaper. Just think how many more they could sell at say $400.00 a set. Just my take on it.

I 100% agree with dustertogo and mike. I don't understand why this is always a 50/50 topic. I have never had a problem with this install on any of my abody's (70 Duster,70 Scamp,73 Scamp,76 Swinger,74 Dart Sport. All had 360's with ,manual steering, mini starter. My current swinger was the only one needing massaging since it had the Milodon. Adam knows this scenario also. The Moroso or Canton pan is the answer to that. I did every install with the motor in place and followed the simple instructions as per hooker. Car almost 3 feet in the air, motor mounts loose, drag link removed. Both sides slip right in from under the car started with the collectors parallel to the ground. On tip is to removed the factory studs on the front and rear of the heads.

Yup, All the hammering in the world wont make them fit with a Milodon Pan, LOL

fast318dart said:
im going to be installing a 416 in my 74 dodge dart and was wondering if the hooker super comp 13/4 would work ......

Take a piece of advice from some old guy who's been around the block once or twice (Maybe 800 times....)

You can either spend $700 on TTI's and be done with it, or buy a set of shitty, ill-fitting, pavement scraping Hookers and THEN buy a set of TTI's like I did....and be out $1,075 total. If this is a car you plan on spending time with, make the investment. If it's just a summer banger that you plan on beating the wee out of and then move onto something else, then go for the Hookers.

Hell, pay me for the shipping and a good bottle of single malt Scotch and I'll send you my old Hookers. They've already been "broken in..." :twisted:

-
Back