hooking a 72 duster collumn to a 67 harness

-

Bret2094

Angry wrench enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title implies, I have a 67 valiant wiring harness installed in my 72 duster. This is a result of a combination of P/O hackery and rats that caused a substantial electrical fire. Since i exist on a tight budget and couldnt afford a brand new one, I went searching the local auto salvage yard and picked up this 67 valiant harness,which was the closest in years that they had, as well as my missing heater assembly and the instrument cluster which is in far better shape than my melted older one. I have the engine harness and the one going to the rear all hooked up right, but i ran into problems while wiring up the dash. I realized the connectors were different for the older style, and that in 67 the emergency flasher and ignition were located in the dash. I salvaged the connector side of my old harness so i could splice it in so that the 72 turn signal switch and the ignition switch would be plug and play, but not all of the wires are the same color or abundance. On the 72 turn signal there is a pink wire that doesnt match to any wire for the 67, however an orange wire is present. would this be fine? also for the ignition switch I hooked everything up but as of yet the starter wont ingage. The only thing that works is HI/Low beams, the rear lights and the license plate light....any suggestions would be awesome. Not trying to be a complete hack job here, but trying to deal with what's available .

Bret

A pink wire in a 72 column would be 12 volts to something that is hot at all times. Like ignition switch or hazard flashers.
Orange wires are illumination, most likely shift indicator in a column. Anyway... pink and orange wouldn't go together or serve the same purpose.
If the pink wire is in the ign' switch harness and not supplied, start wouldn't work.

i now have the ignition all set up and she cranked off, but flashers still seem unresponsive, in any direction. the pink/ orange problem might just fix it. thanks for responding with that, i shall get on top of things tomorrow and see what is up

Bret

-
Back