Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's the plan

Mopar HyFire 7500 rpm box, with accompanying new harness

Accel Super Coil using ballast resistor supplied

On an MP bronze shaft distributor

What does the bronze shaft have to do with ignition?

What does the bronze shaft have to do with ignition?
There was argument a while back that a true mp dizzy had a bronze shaft, others said that was hog wash.
I mentioned that as I believe the bronze shaft will wear less, thus keeping timing more accurate, longer

There was argument a while back that a true mp dizzy had a bronze shaft, others said that was hog wash.
I mentioned that as I believe the bronze shaft will wear less, thus keeping timing more accurate, longer
Unless you are running a billet solid roller camshaft, the bronze gear will wear out in short order.

I'm not so sure the gear is bronze,
I'll be pulling it next week
No one makes a bronze intermediate SHAFT. When talking about bronze, it's the GEAR that's made, not the shaft.

Some of the early Mallory style dist had a plating on them that was a gold color. Has to be steel or it will twist eventually and sheer. Bronze is soft thats why they use it on the oil pump/dist shaft gears.

Ok, great info
I was going to run an MSD6AL, but I'm not going to spend the money for a new one
I decided if I had a problem on the road, the good ole electronic dizzy was best overall, for getting parts and dependability

I have seen a four cylinder Porsche 944 lose 5 hp on a chassis dyno when swapping a 30 year old Bosch coil for an Accel Super Stock unit. I'd consider the Bosch coil - they used the same part for late '80s Porsche 944 and BMW 325 applications - for a build that needs a can type coil. The downsides are that it needs a different coil wire and I'm not sure how to run it with a ballast resistor. You could sidestep the ballast resistor question with an HEI module or other ignition with active dwell control.

Note that this was the can type coil; I'm not sure how the square top one performs. But I have also dealt with customer problems brought about by Accel's stock replacement OE replacement coils as well.

No one makes a bronze intermediate SHAFT. When talking about bronze, it's the GEAR that's made, not the shaft.
I think he means the distributor shaft, not the intermediate shaft. I think the bronze shaft means that it is a Mallory or Accel ??????manufactured piece.

I've decided to keep the MSD6AL as a spare in the trunk with pigtails for quick installation, when we go cross country, or go to the track

I think he means the distributor shaft, not the intermediate shaft. I think the bronze shaft means that it is a Mallory or Accel ??????manufactured piece.
The shaft in the distributor housing? None of them are made of bronze either.

The shaft in the distributor housing? None of them are made of bronze either.
I'm not sure if it is actually solid bronze or some sort of an alloy. I have one, and that is how it is identified. (file pic)

1712199993008.jpeg

The only thing Super about the Accel super coil is the price. You were paying extra for a pretty ordinary coil dressed up to look impressive.
The Hyfire is a CD ign system. To get the best out of it, you should use an E core coil & better still, an E core coil designed for CD such as the MSD 8252.

The only thing Super about the Accel super coil is the price. You were paying extra for a pretty ordinary coil dressed up to look impressive.
The Hyfire is a CD ign system. To get the best out of it, you should use an E core coil & better still, an E core coil designed for CD such as the MSD 8252.

He doesn’t have a HyFire that I can see.

I had the same conversation with a fellow I know that builds engines........He said it's all window dressing.

-
Back