Hoosier Quick Time DOT Burnout Question

-

71GSSDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, due to other life problems I wasn't able to get the Demon to the track as planned this fall but watching cars run last night, there was no room to drive around the water for burnouts. With a shallow tread on the soft compound and wrinkle wall, should the water be avoided? My thoughts were about water being in the tread at the starting line. Is this a thing? Pic of tire attached.

Screenshot_20230930_142332.jpg

I've never been to a track where you couldn't drive around the water box. I hope you are mistaken. Is this on a street night ?

There won't be any water in the tread if you roll out of the water and do a burn out until the tires smoke.

I've never been to a track where you couldn't drive around the water box. I hope you are mistaken. Is this on a street night ?
It was street night. I couldn't see the area well enough maybe. Mentioned above it may not be an issue. Just me overthinking??

I would avoid the water with tread. The burn out area is usually wide enough for you to drive around the water area. Swing out past it. Back up and do a second gear burn/tire clean. I find those harder treaded tires get slippery if overheated. Depend on the compound. Good luck!

So, due to other life problems I wasn't able to get the Demon to the track as planned this fall but watching cars run last night, there was no room to drive around the water for burnouts. With a shallow tread on the soft compound and wrinkle wall, should the water be avoided? My thoughts were about water being in the tread at the starting line. Is this a thing? Pic of tire attached.

View attachment 1716148095
We ran the Mickey Thompson version of these 20 years ago. We just drove thru the water box and stopped and proceeded with a normal burnout like a slick. Basically once you see a little smoke roll out from the burnout. They worked well for us, but we used them on a 67 Plymouth Belvedere that was running 8.0-8.30s in the 1/8th mile.

I would avoid the water with tread. The burn out area is usually wide enough for you to drive around the water area. Swing out past it. Back up and do a second gear burn/tire clean. I find those harder treaded tires get slippery if overheated. Depend on the compound. Good luck!
those are treaded slicks , not hard rubber at all...jfyi

View attachment 1716148095
I ran a pair of these for several years and a lot of street miles on a 67 Satellite. I loved this tire on that car. I would drive it to the track, make a bunch of runs, then drive it home. I never went around the water. Like @MOPARMAGA said, there won't be water in the tread after the burnout.

-
Back