Hoover Dam Pic - Not From A Helicopter

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Many of you know of Hoover Dam outside of Las Vegas and have probably visited there and know just how tall and big it is. But you may not have seen the bridge that was built across the top of Black's Canyon in order to eliminate interstate truck traffic from the top of the dam after 9/11.
Following are a couple of pics I took from the pedestrian walkway of the bridge while in Vegas for MATS a couple of days ago.
For reference, the pedestrian walkway is about 180' higher than the top of the dam - and it's about a 900' drop to the water below. Take a look at the height of the guardrail on the walkway. It isn't very tall.

Visiting the dam always hits home with me since my fathers oldest brother left the family home in Salt Lake City during the Depression to find work on the Dam build project. I never met him since he was killed almost 20 years before I was born - he fell from the roof of the power house on the Arizona side of the river (see the buildings extending from the base of the dam in the 2nd

View attachment 220px-MikeO'Callaghan–PatTillmanMemorialBridge.jpg

View attachment P4134167.jpg

View attachment P4134168.jpg

View attachment P4134169.jpg

View attachment P4134170.jpg

View attachment P4134171.jpg pic).

Lake Mead is drying up.

I've been there twice. The first time was before the bridge was built. The second time I was able to go out onto the bridge. That is the most amazing sight I have ever seen. I could go back there every year and be amazed every time. It's too bad they don't do the full tours any more. They haven't done that since 911. I would have liked to go deaper into it. Great pictures!

-
Back