Hoover's Mover ( Feb-1976 )

-

SS Lancer

Reaction score
Thanks ( LOCOMOTION )
371 - Cubic Inch "A" engine with 100 % Chrysler parts !!
Very interesting article and some good info coming from the Man ( Tom Hoover ) who managed the Drag Racing programs for Chrysler.
The heart of the 371- incher ( a 360 bored .060) and factory .020 340 cast pistons # 3621354. It requires a 4.06 - inch diameter bore size and needs some machine work to be used with the 360 crank . It will give a compression ratio of 11.8-to-1 as is , or the top can be cut down up to.080-inch to lower the ratio for pump gas !!!

20210728_001038.jpg

20210728_001457.jpg

That was an inspirational article in my early years, which was before aftermarket pistons became common for 360's. I have that magazine buried somewhere.

Many years ago I got a deal on Direct Connection 355 Nascar application pistons (for 3.454 Stroke I believe) and did similar mods to make them work in a 3.58 stroke 360. It lightened the pistons as well!

I have that magazine buried in the attic somewhere too! I never built one of those motors, but I do have almost enough stuff to build a 347 CI motor out of a 318. :D

That was an inspirational article in my early years, which was before aftermarket pistons became common for 360's. I have that magazine buried somewhere.

Many years ago I got a deal on Direct Connection 355 Nascar application pistons (for 3.454 Stroke I believe) and did similar mods to make them work in a 3.58 stroke 360. It lightened the pistons as well!
Great story u mentioning this allowed me to find magazine on ebay and again thank you.

I built one of these in the mid 80's, first motor I ever had bored. Using a 8" bench grinder I ground a large champher around the top of the piston until the head could be installed without a head gasket,iirc had to grind the bottom of the pin boss for throw clearance, think the skirt cleared. Put the shortblock together and had no pv clearance, used 2 old valves with nubs welded on and spun them in a old head to make notches. Ran good, was soon popping head gaskets, put studs in and eventually had to start running av gas,no money for good fuel
Never heard of Hoover till I got on here,,didn't weigh anything, didn't balance it, beat some pretty good stuff with that piece of crap!
Cant even guess how many hours I had in that old girl, didn't have any money sooooo.
I will say determination is something that can't be bought, still proud of that one!

I haven’t seen any internal docs on a 371”motor.

Just a failed 288” pro stock project and 305” Can Am, and 355” nascar stuff.

What formula is that
I like the odd stuff

Kim nailed it. .030 318 with 360 crank, mains turned down to 318/340 spec. Silvolite pistons with 1.741 compression height, with .065 milled off the tops. Then mill the skirts to clear the counterweights on the crank. You may be able to turn the counterweights down and neutral balance it and not have to fool with the piston skirts. Supposed to be torquey little things!

-
Back